Health relevance of lowering postprandial glycaemia in the paediatric population through diet - results from a multistakeholder workshop
van Schothorst, Evert M.
Zakrzewski-Fruer, Julia K.
University of Bonn
University of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo summarise current knowledge and gaps regarding the role of postprandial glycaemic response in the paediatric population, a workshop was organized in June 2021 by the European branch of the International Life Science Institute (ILSI). This virtual event comprised of talks given by experts followed by in-depth discussions in breakout sessions with workshop participants. The main pre-specified topics addressed by the workshop organising committee to the invited speakers and the workshop participants were: 1) the role of glycaemic responses for paediatric health, based on mechanistic insights from animal and human data, and long-term evidence from observational and intervention studies in paediatric populations, and 2) changes in metabolism and changes in dietary needs from infancy to adolescence. Each talk as well as the discussions were summarised, including the main identified research gaps. The workshop led to the consensus on the crucial role on health of postprandial glycaemic response in paediatric population. However, a lack of scientific data has been identified regarding detailed glucose and insulin profiles in response to foods commonly consumed by paediatric populations, as well as a lack of long-term evidence including the need for suitable predictors during childhood and adolescence to anticipate health effects during adulthood.
CitationVinoy S, Goletzke J, Rakhshandehroo M, Schweitzer L, Flourakis M, Körner A, Alexy U, van Schothorst EM, Ceriello A, Zakrzewski-Fruer JK, Buyken A (2022) 'Health relevance of lowering postprandial glycaemia in the paediatric population through diet : results from a multistakeholder workshop', European Journal of Nutrition, 62, pp.1093-1107.
JournalEuropean Journal of Nutrition
PubMed Central IDPMC10030539
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Glycaemic glucose equivalent: combining carbohydrate content, quantity and glycaemic index of foods for precision in glycaemia management.
- Authors: Monro JA
- Issue date: 2002
- Postprandial blood glucose response: does the glycaemic index (GI) value matter even in the low GI range?
- Authors: Kaur B, Koh M, Ponnalagu S, Henry CJ
- Issue date: 2020 May 1
- The effect of a low glycaemic index diet on reducing day-long glycaemia in healthy young adults: A randomized crossover trial.
- Authors: Hon HWH, Wong THT, Tse IMY, Louie JCY
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Diet and glycaemia: the markers and their meaning. A report of the Unilever Nutrition Workshop.
- Authors: Alssema M, Boers HM, Ceriello A, Kilpatrick ES, Mela DJ, Priebe MG, Schrauwen P, Wolffenbuttel BH, Pfeiffer AF
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 28
- Diurnal postprandial responses to low and high glycaemic index mixed meals.
- Authors: Gibbs M, Harrington D, Starkey S, Williams P, Hampton S
- Issue date: 2014 Oct