Bi-layered disulfiram-loaded fiber membranes with antibacterial properties for wound dressing
Subjectsbi-layered disulfiram-loaded fiber membranes
Subject Categories::C560 Biotechnology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, the bi-layered disulfiram-loaded fiber membranes with the antibacterial activity and different surface wettabilities are prepared using electrospinning technology. In the application of wound dressing, the hydrophilic surface of fiber membranes is beneficial for cell adhesion and drug release to heal the wound. Meanwhile, the outside hydrophobic surface is able to block water penetration to reduce the probability of wound infection. The obtained bi-layered drug-loaded fiber membranes are composed of polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) bottom surface and disulfiram (DSF)/polylactic acid (PLA) top surface. To modify the top surface wettability, the oxygen plasma modification of bi-layered membranes was carried out. The morphology, wettability, and chemical compositions of bi-layered drug-loaded fiber membranes were analyzed using the scanning electronic microscope (SEM), drop shape analysis instrument, X-ray diffractometer (XRD), and X-ray photoelectron spectrometer (XPS). The bi-layered disulfiram-loaded membranes showed the potent antibacterial activity in vitro against both Escherichia coli (Gram-negative) and Staphylococcus aureus (Gram-positive). It was found that the bi-layered membranes had good biocompatibility with L929 cells. Thus, the obtained bi-layered disulfiram-loaded fiber membranes are suitable for wound dressing application.
CitationXie C, Yan J, Cao S, Liu R, Sun B, Xie Y, Qu K, Zhang W, Weng Z, Wang Z (2022) 'Bi-layered disulfiram-loaded fiber membranes with antibacterial properties for wound dressing', Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 194 (3), pp.1359-1372.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (No. 2017YFE0112100), EU H2020 Program (MNR4SCell No. 734174; NanoStencil No. 767285), Jilin Provincial Science and Technology Program (Nos. 20180414002GH, 20180414081GH, 20180520203JH, 20190702002GH, and 20200901011SF), Jilin Provincial DRC Research and Development Program (No. 2020C022-1), and “111” Project of China (No. D17017).
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Bi-layered Nanofibers Membrane Loaded with Titanium Oxide and Tetracycline as Controlled Drug Delivery System for Wound Dressing Applications.
- Authors: Rezk AI, Lee JY, Son BC, Park CH, Kim CS
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 1
- Electrospinning polyvinylidene fluoride fibrous membranes containing anti-bacterial drugs used as wound dressing.
- Authors: He T, Wang J, Huang P, Zeng B, Li H, Cao Q, Zhang S, Luo Z, Deng DY, Zhang H, Zhou W
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 1
- Bi-layered nanofibrous membrane with osteogenic and antibacterial functions for periodontal tissue regeneration.
- Authors: Zhong M, Lin J, Yang Y, Liu M, Guo G, Ji D, Zhang R, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Bi-layered α-tocopherol acetate loaded membranes for potential wound healing and skin regeneration.
- Authors: Zahid S, Khalid H, Ikram F, Iqbal H, Samie M, Shahzadi L, Shah AT, Yar M, Chaudhry AA, Awan SJ, Khan AF, Rehman IU
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Facile fabrication of gelatin and polycaprolactone based bilayered membranes via spin coating method with antibacterial and cyto-compatible properties.
- Authors: Huang Y, Dan N, Dan W, Zhao W, Bai Z, Chen Y, Yang C
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1