The prevalence of daily sedentary time in south Asian adults: a systematic review
AuthorsDey, Kamalesh C.
Zakrzewski-Fruer, Julia K.
Smith, Lindsey Rachel
Jones, Rebecca Louise
Bailey, Daniel Paul
Subject Categories::C600 Sports Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study aimed to systematically review total daily sedentary time in South Asian adults. Seven electronic databases were searched, identifying relevant articles published in peer-reviewed journals between March 1990 and March 2021. The study was designed in accordance with PRISMA guidelines. Prospective or cross-sectional design studies reporting total daily sedentary time in South Asian adults (aged ≥18 years), reported in English, were included. Study quality and risk of bias were assessed, and the weighted mean total daily sedentary time was calculated. Fourteen full texts were included in this systematic review from studies that were conducted in Bangladesh, India, Norway, Singapore, and the United Kingdom. Pooled sedentary time across all studies was 424 ± 8 min/day. Sedentary time was measured using self-report questionnaires in seven studies, with a weighted mean daily sedentary time of 416 ± 19 min/day. Eight studies used accelerometers and inclinometers with a weighted mean sedentary time of 527 ± 11 min/day. South Asian adults spend a large proportion of their time being sedentary, especially when recorded using objective measures (~9 h/day). These findings suggest that South Asians are an important target population for public health efforts to reduced sedentary time, and researchers and practitioners should seek to standardise and carefully consider the tools used when measuring sedentary time in this population.
CitationDey KC, Zakrzewski-Fruer JK, Smith LR, Jones RL, Bailey DP (2021) 'The prevalence of daily sedentary time in south Asian adults: a systematic review', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18 (17) 9275.
PubMed Central IDPMC8431135
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Interventions outside the workplace for reducing sedentary behaviour in adults under 60 years of age.
- Authors: Murtagh EM, Murphy MH, Milton K, Roberts NW, O'Gorman CS, Foster C
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 17
- Objective measurement of physical activity and sedentary behavior among South Asian adults: A systematic review.
- Authors: Mahmood B, Tang TS, Afshar R, Ashe MC
- Issue date: 2020
- Interventions for reducing sedentary behaviour in community-dwelling older adults.
- Authors: Chastin S, Gardiner PA, Harvey JA, Leask CF, Jerez-Roig J, Rosenberg D, Ashe MC, Helbostad JL, Skelton DA
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 25
- Suicidal Ideation
- Authors: Harmer B, Lee S, Duong TvH, Saadabadi A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan