Evaluation of genetic diversity and population structure of Fragaria nilgerrensis using EST-SSR markers
Crabbe, M. James C.
University of Bedfordshire
Yunnan University of Chinese Medicine
Subject Categories::C410 Applied Genetics
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFragaria nilgerrensis is a diploid wild strawberry widely distributed in Southwest China. Its white color and “peach-like” fragrance of fruits are valuable characters for the genetic improvement of cultivated strawberry plants. Its strong biotic and abiotic resistance and tolerance also enable it to survive in different habitats in the field. In this study, we evaluated the level of genetic variation within and between 16 populations with 169 individuals of F. nilgerrensis using 16 newly developed EST-SSR (expressed sequence tag-simple sequence repeats) markers. The results show that the genetic diversity of this species was high, based on Nei’s genetic diversity (0.26) and polymorphic loci (0.41), although it is self-compatible and has clonal propagation. Significant genetic differentiation among populations was also detected by AMOVA analysis (Fst = 0.34), which could be indicative of little gene flow (Nm = 0.43) in F. nilgerrensis. The phylogenetic tree indicates that most of individuals from the same population have clustered together. These populations were not grouped based on the geographical distance, consistent with the Mantel test result (R2 = 0.0063, P > 0.05). All the populations were assigned into two ancestral groups, with some individuals admixed, suggesting ancestral gene flow had occurred between these two groups. Our developed EST-SSR markers as well as the genetic diversity and population structure analysis of F. nilgerrensis are important for genetic improvement in the breeding process. Moreover, the populations that contain high genetic diversity would be a priority for collection and conservation.
CitationLiu J., Zhang Y, Diao X, Yu K, Dai X, Qu P, Crabbe MJC, Zhang T, Qiao Q (2021) 'Evaluation of genetic diversity and population structure of Fragaria nilgerrensis using EST-SSR markers', Gene, 796-797 (145791)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Construction of an integrated high density simple sequence repeat linkage map in cultivated strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa) and its applicability.
- Authors: Isobe SN, Hirakawa H, Sato S, Maeda F, Ishikawa M, Mori T, Yamamoto Y, Shirasawa K, Kimura M, Fukami M, Hashizume F, Tsuji T, Sasamoto S, Kato M, Nanri K, Tsuruoka H, Minami C, Takahashi C, Wada T, Ono A, Kawashima K, Nakazaki N, Kishida Y, Kohara M, Nakayama S, Yamada M, Fujishiro T, Watanabe A, Tabata S
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- De novo transcriptome assembly and population genetic analyses of an important coastal shrub, Apocynum venetum L.
- Authors: Yuan N, Li M, Jia C
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 3
- Genetic diversity and population structure of Indigofera szechuensis complex (Fabaceae) based on EST-SSR markers.
- Authors: Guo LN, Gao XF
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 15
- Assessment of Genetic Diversity and Population Genetic Structure of Corylus mandshurica in China Using SSR Markers.
- Authors: Zong JW, Zhao TT, Ma QH, Liang LS, Wang GX
- Issue date: 2015
- The high-quality genome of diploid strawberry (Fragaria nilgerrensis) provides new insights into anthocyanin accumulation.
- Authors: Zhang J, Lei Y, Wang B, Li S, Yu S, Wang Y, Li H, Liu Y, Ma Y, Dai H, Wang J, Zhang Z
- Issue date: 2020 Sep