Exploring how newly qualified dentists perceive certain legal and ethical issues in view of the GDC standards
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction This study focuses on how the legal and ethical requirements presented by the General Dental Council (GDC) in their Standards for the dental team (2013) document are perceived by newly qualified dentists; that is, those who have been qualified for less than five years.Aim The aim of the study was to investigate how the GDC guidance and the set standards for the dental team are perceived and understood by newly qualified dental practitioners, and how the guidance and the standards influence clinicians' decision-making. The study explored the newly qualified dentists' exposure to law and ethics, the GDC and their regulatory document, together with the clinical and non-clinical influence of this regulation on daily practice.Methods Empirical qualitative data were collected using semi-structured interviews of nine newly qualified dentists, with an average of 80 minutes for each interview. The data were analysed using thematic analysis.Results Three main themes were identified through the newly qualified dentists' perceptions of the GDC selected standards. These included sense of fear, morale and the business of dental practice, with further subthemes identified.Conclusion Results from this study present an opportunity and a challenge, as there is some fear and uncertainty among newly qualified dentists about the application of some of the GDC standards in practice. Further training in law and ethics as well as additional support for newly qualified dental practitioners is needed.
CitationThakrar B, Wassif HS (2021) 'Exploring how newly qualified dentists perceive certain legal and ethical issues in view of the GDC standards', British Dental Journal, (), pp.-.
JournalBritish Dental Journal
- Dentists' perceptions of their professional roles regarding referrals within primary dental care in England: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Allen Z, Richardson J, Nassar M, Moles D
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 31
- Overseas-qualified dentists' experiences and perceptions of the Australian Dental Council assessment and examination process: the importance of support structures.
- Authors: Balasubramanian M, Brennan DS, Spencer AJ, Watkins K, Short SD
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Understanding continuous professional development participation and choice of mid-career general dental practitioners.
- Authors: Brown T, Wassif HS
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Introducing high-cost health care to patients: dentists' accounts of offering dental implant treatment.
- Authors: Vernazza CR, Rousseau N, Steele JG, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Eastham J, Exley C
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- From SA to UK: a profile of South African qualified dentists registered with the General Dental Council.
- Authors: Holtshousen WS, van Wyk PJ
- Issue date: 1997 Oct