AFM-based study of fullerenol (C60(OH)24)-induced changes of elasticity in living SMCC-7721 cells
AffiliationChangchun University of Science and Technology
Atomic force microscope (AFM)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, the alterations of the morphology and biomechanical properties of living SMCC-7721 cancer cells treated with fullerenol (C60(OH)24) for 24, 48, and 72h were investigated using an atomic force microscope (AFM). Comparative analyses show that the elastic moduli of the SMCC-7721 cells exposed to fullerenol decrease significantly with the increase of the treatment periods. Furthermore, in different phases of the treatment, a global decrease in elasticity is accompanied by cellular morphological changes, and the time-dependent effect of the fullerenol can be observed using AFM and optical microscope. In addition, as the treatment duration increases, the indentation force and depth penetrated into the cell membrane by the AFM tip are in a declining trend. The reduction in the stiffness of the cells exposed to fullerenol could be associated with the disruption of the cellular cytoskeleton network. The investigation indicates that the elastic modulus of single living cells can be a useful biomarker to evaluate the effects of fullerenol or other anticancer agents on the cells and reveal instructive information for cellular dynamic behaviors.
CitationLiu Y, Wang Z, Wang X (2015) 'AFM-based study of fullerenol (C60(OH)24)-induced changes of elasticity in living SMCC-7721 cells', Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 45, pp.65-74.
- Quantitative analysis of dynamic adhesion properties in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells with fullerenol.
- Authors: Liu Y, Wang Z, Wang X, Huang Y
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Investigation of fullerenol-induced changes in poroelasticity of human hepatocellular carcinoma by AFM-based creep tests.
- Authors: Zhu X, Cirovic S, Shaheen A, Xu W
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Atomic force microscopy study of the effects of water-soluble fullerenes on the elasticity of living plant cells.
- Authors: Zhang X, Liu Q, Xia T, Li N, He K, Wang C, Tan W, Fang X
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Study of morphological and mechanical features of multinuclear and mononuclear SW480 cells by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Liu J, Qu Y, Wang G, Wang X, Zhang W, Li J, Wang Z, Li D, Jiang J
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Mechanical properties study of SW480 cells based on AFM.
- Authors: Liu X, Song Z, Qu Y, Wang G, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2015 Aug