Atomic force microscopy imaging of the G-banding process of chromosomes
atomic force microscopy
Subject Categories::J510 Materials Technology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe chromosome is an important genetic material carrier in living individuals and the spatial conformation (mainly referring to the chromosomal structure, quantity, centromere position and other morphological information) may be abnormal or mutated. Thus, it may generate a high possibility to cause diseases. Generally, the karyotype of chromosome G-bands is detected and analyzed using an optical microscope. However, it is difficult to detect the G-band structures for traditional optical microscopes on the nanometer scale. Herein, we have studied the detection method of chromosome G-band samples by atomic force microscopy (AFM) imaging. The structures of chromosome G-banding are studied with different trypsin treatment durations. The experiment result shows that the treatment duration of 20 s is the best time to form G-band structures. The AFM images show the structures of chromosome G-bands which cannot be observed under an optical microscope. This work provides a new way for the detection and diagnosis of chromosome diseases on the nanometer scale.
CitationWang B, Li J, Dong J, Yang F, Qu K, Wang Y, Zhang J, Song Z, Xu H, Wang Z, Wei H (2020) 'Atomic force microscopy imaging of the G-banding process of chromosomes', Applied Nanoscience, 11, pp.249-255.
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Three-dimensional structure of G-banded human metaphase chromosomes observed by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Hoshi O, Ushiki T
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- GTG banding pattern on human metaphase chromosomes revealed by high resolution atomic-force microscopy.
- Authors: Thalhammer S, Koehler U, Stark RW, Heckl WM
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Human chromosome structure studied by scanning force microscopy after an enzymatic digestion of the covering cell material.
- Authors: Tamayo J, Miles M
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- The mechanism of G-banding detected by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Sahin FI, Ergün MA, Tan E, Menevşe A
- Issue date: 2000 Jan-Feb
- C-banding visualized by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Tan E, Sahin FI, Ergün MA, Ercan I, Menevşe A
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Feb