Ethnic differences in body fat deposition and liver fat content in two UK-based cohorts
Parkinson, James R.
Goldstone, Anthony P.
Wilman, Henry R.
Bell, Jimmy D.
Thomas, E. Louise
AffiliationUniversity of Westminster
University of Bedfordshire
Imperial College London
University of Exeter
Luleå University of Technology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: Differences in the content and distribution of body fat and ectopic lipids may be responsible for ethnic variations in metabolic disease susceptibility. The aim of this study was to examine the ethnic distribution of body fat in two separate UK-based populations. Methods: Anthropometry and body composition were assessed in two separate UK cohorts: the Hammersmith cohort and the UK Biobank, both comprising individuals of South Asian descent (SA), individuals of Afro-Caribbean descent (AC), and individuals of European descent (EUR). Regional adipose tissue stores and liver fat were measured by magnetic resonance techniques. Results: The Hammersmith cohort (n = 747) had a mean (SD) age of 41.1 (14.5) years (EUR: 374 men, 240 women; SA: 68 men, 22 women; AC: 14 men, 29 women), and the UK Biobank (n = 9,533) had a mean (SD) age of 55.5 (7.5) years (EUR: 4,483 men, 4,873 women; SA: 80 men, 43 women, AC: 31 men, 25 women). Following adjustment for age and BMI, no significant differences in visceral adipose tissue or liver fat were observed between SA and EUR individuals in the either cohort. Conclusions: Our data, consistent across two independent UK-based cohorts, present a limited number of ethnic differences in the distribution of body fat depots associated with metabolic disease. These results suggest that the ethnic variation in susceptibility to features of the metabolic syndrome may not arise from differences in body fat.
CitationAlenaini W, Parkinson JRC, McCarthy JP, Goldstone AP, Wilman HR, Banerjee R, Yaghootkar H, Bell JD, Thomas EL (2020) 'Ethnic differences in body fat deposition and liver fat content in two UK-based cohorts', Obesity, 28 (11), pp.2142-2152.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Yellow - can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
- The missing risk: MRI and MRS phenotyping of abdominal adiposity and ectopic fat.
- Authors: Thomas EL, Parkinson JR, Frost GS, Goldstone AP, Doré CJ, McCarthy JP, Collins AL, Fitzpatrick JA, Durighel G, Taylor-Robinson SD, Bell JD
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Ethnic variation in fat and lean body mass and the association with insulin resistance.
- Authors: Lear SA, Kohli S, Bondy GP, Tchernof A, Sniderman AD
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- [Body fat distribution: its characteristics and relationship to cardiovascular risk factors in obese Chinese].
- Authors: Ran XW, Li XS, Tong NW, Li QF, Tang BD, Li XJ
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Ethnic differences in male reproductive hormones and relationships with adiposity and insulin resistance in older men.
- Authors: Eendebak RJ, Swiecicka A, Gromski PS, Pye SR, O'Neill TW, Marshall A, Keevil BG, Tampubolon G, Goodacre R, Wu FC, Rutter MK
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Ethnic difference in liver fat content: a cross-sectional observation among Japanese American in Hawaii, Japanese in Japan, and non-Hispanic whites in United States.
- Authors: Azuma K, Curb JD, Kadowaki T, Edmundowicz D, Kadowaki S, Masaki KH, El-Saed A, Nishio Y, Seto TB, Okamura T, Cetinel C, Kadota A, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Miura K, Evans RW, Takamiya T, Maegawa H, Miljkovic I, Kuller LH, Ueshima H, Kelley DE, Sekikawa A
- Issue date: 2013 May-Jun