Antitumor effects of saponin extract from Patrinia villosa (Thunb.) Juss on mice bearing U14 cervical cancer
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSaponin extracted from Patrinia villosa (Thunb.) Juss (SPVJ) is a Chinese medicine which is used widely by traditional medicine doctors. In this study, the antitumor effects and the possible mechanisms of SPVJ were investigated in mice bearing U14 cervical cancer. The results showed that SPVJ (50 mg/kg and 100 mg/kg) effectively reduced the weight of U14 cervical tumor (35.1% and 57.1%, respectively). Compared with the control group, SPVJ (100 mg/kg) significantly increased tumor cells in the G0/G1 phase (38.1% vs 68.5%), increased the number of cells in apoptosis (9.4% vs 28.9%) and G0/G1 phase and decreased the number of cells in S phase (41% vs 26.2%) and G2/M (20.9% vs 5.3%), inhibited proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) of tumor cell (80.6% vs 21.8%), decreased the expression of mutant p53 (66.4% vs 33.5%) and bcl-2 protein (78.2% vs 20.3%). The mechanism of the SPVJ antitumor effect might be associated with inhibition of tumor cells in G0/G1 phase, inducing apoptosis and inhibiting the expression of PCNA, mutant P53 and Bcl-2 protein.
CitationZhang T, Li Q, Li K, Li Y, Li J, Wang G, Zhou S (2008) 'Antitumor effects of saponin extract from Patrinia villosa (Thunb.) Juss on mice bearing U14 cervical cancer', Phytotherapy Research, 22 (5), pp.640-645.
- Aqueous extract of Solanum nigrum inhibit growth of cervical carcinoma (U14) via modulating immune response of tumor bearing mice and inducing apoptosis of tumor cells.
- Authors: Li J, Li Q, Feng T, Li K
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Antitumor activity of polysaccharides isolated from Patrinia heterophylla.
- Authors: Lu WZ, Geng GX, Li QW, Li J, Liu FZ, Han ZS
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Antitumor activity of crude polysaccharides isolated from Solanum nigrum Linne on U14 cervical carcinoma bearing mice.
- Authors: Li J, Li Q, Feng T, Zhang T, Li K, Zhao R, Han Z, Gao D
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- [Effect of Gleditsia sinensis stings on growth inhibition and expression of PCNA and p53 in mice bearing uterine cervical carcinoma (U14)].
- Authors: Long L, Geng GX, Li QW
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Anti-tumor activity of polysaccharides isolated from Patrinia scabra Bunge on U14 cervical carcinoma bearing mice.
- Authors: Lu WZ, Geng GX, Li QW, Li J, Liu FZ, Han ZS, Gao DW, Yan X, Yang XL
- Issue date: 2009