Direct imaging of antigen-antibody binding by atomic force microscopy
Subjectsatomic force microscopy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDirect observation of antigen-antibody binding at the nanoscale has always been a considerable challenging problem, and researchers have made tremendous efforts on it. In this study, the morphology of biotinylated antibody-specific Immunoglobulin E (IgE) immune complexes has been successfully imaged by atomic force microscopy (AFM) in the tapping-mode. The AFM images indicated that the individual immune complex was composed of an IgE and a biotinylated antibody. Excitingly, it is the first time that we have actually seen the IgE binding to biotinylated antibody. Alternatively, information on the length of IgE, biotinylated antibodies and biotinylated antibody-specific IgE immune complexes were also obtained, respectively. These results indicate the versatility of AFM technology in the identification of antigen-antibody binding. This work not only lays the basis for the direct imaging of the biotinylated antibody-IgE by AFM, but also offers valuable information for studying the targeted therapy and vaccine development in the future.
CitationHu J, Gao M, Wang Z, Chen Y, Song Z, Xu H (2020) 'Direct imaging of antigen-antibody binding by atomic force microscopy', Applied nanoscience, 11 , pp.293-300.
- Specific antigen/antibody interactions measured by force microscopy.
- Authors: Dammer U, Hegner M, Anselmetti D, Wagner P, Dreier M, Huber W, Güntherodt HJ
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Imaging the Substructures of Individual IgE Antibodies with Atomic Force Microscopy.
- Authors: Hu J, Gao M, Wang Y, Liu M, Wang J, Li J, Song Z, Chen Y, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 19
- In situ single-molecule detection of antibody-antigen binding by tapping-mode atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Li L, Chen S, Oh S, Jiang S
- Issue date: 2002 Dec 1
- Imaging recognition events between human IgG and rat anti-human IgG by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Lv Z, Wang J, Chen G, Deng L
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 1
- Simultaneous height and adhesion imaging of antibody-antigen interactions by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Willemsen OH, Snel MM, van der Werf KO, de Grooth BG, Greve J, Hinterdorfer P, Gruber HJ, Schindler H, van Kooyk Y, Figdor CG
- Issue date: 1998 Nov