Within-season distribution of external training and racing workload in professional male road cyclists
AuthorsMetcalfe, Alan J.
Peiffer, Jeremiah J.
Abbiss, Chris R.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo describe the within-season external workloads of professional male road cyclists for optimal training prescription. Training and racing of 4 international competitive professional male cyclists (age 24 ± 2 y, body mass 77.6 ± 1.5 kg) were monitored for 12 mo before the world team-time-trial championships. Three within-season phases leading up to the team-time-trial world championships on September 20, 2015, were defined as phase 1 (Oct-Jan), phase 2 (Feb-May), and phase 3 (June-Sept). Distance and time were compared between training and racing days and over each of the various phases. Times spent in absolute (<100, 100-300, 400-500, >500 W) and relative (0-1.9, 2.0-4.9, 5.0-7.9, >8 W/kg) power zones were also compared for the whole season and between phases 1-3. Total distance (3859 ± 959 vs 10911 ± 620 km) and time (240.5 ± 37.5 vs 337.5 ± 26 h) were lower (P < .01) in phase 1 than phase 2. Total distance decreased (P < .01) from phase 2 to phase 3 (10911 ± 620 vs 8411 ± 1399 km, respectively). Mean absolute (236 ± 12.1 vs 197 ± 3 W) and relative (3.1 ± 0 vs 2.5 ± 0 W/kg) power output were higher (P < .05) during racing than training, respectively. Volume and intensity differed between training and racing over each of 3 distinct within-season phases.
CitationMetcalfe AJ, Menaspà P, Villerius V, Quod M, Peiffer JJ, Govus AD, Abbiss CR (2017) 'Within-season distribution of external training and racing workload in professional male road cyclists', International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 12 (Suppl 2), pp.S2142-S2146.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Blue - can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing) or publisher's version/PDF
- Power output during women's World Cup road cycle racing.
- Authors: Ebert TR, Martin DT, McDonald W, Victor J, Plummer J, Withers RT
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Intensity and Load Characteristics of Professional Road Cycling: Differences Between Men's and Women's Races.
- Authors: Sanders D, van Erp T, de Koning JJ
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1
- Changes in cycling efficiency during a competitive season.
- Authors: Hopker J, Coleman D, Passfield L
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Effects of long-term training cessation in young top-level road cyclists.
- Authors: Maldonado-Martín S, Cámara J, James DVB, Fernández-López JR, Artetxe-Gezuraga X
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Training Load and Performance Impairments in Professional Cyclists During COVID-19 Lockdown.
- Authors: Muriel X, Courel-Ibáñez J, Cerezuela-Espejo V, Pallarés JG
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 19