'Would you like to join the NHS Organ Donor Register?' a general practice feasibility study
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: A shortage of organ donors exists in the UK and targeting family consent is key for increasing donation consent rates. Registration on the NHS Organ Donor Register (NHS ODR) facilitates this, as it guides families on their loved ones donation preference. In general practice, an opportunity to register is provided, however only to new patients. To improve access to registration opportunities, an intervention was designed where general practice staff asked their patients if they wished to register as an organ donor. AIM: To assess an organ donation registration intervention for feasibility and acceptability in a UK general practice setting. METHOD: One general practice, in Luton, UK, conducted the intervention for 3 months (April to July 2018). Training was held in March 2018, and leaflets and posters were displayed for the 3-month period. An embedded experimental mixed-methods design was used, with data collected via SystmONE questionnaires, surveys and focus groups. RESULTS: The intervention was found to be feasible and acceptable to conduct with some patients by some staff members. During the 3 months, patients were asked in 12.4% of face-to-face consultations (n=812). Nurses and healthcare assistants were more able to conduct the intervention than doctors. Lack of time, telephone consultations, and it not being appropriate were the most common reasons for not asking. Finally, 244 patients joined the NHS ODR; 30.4% of those asked. CONCLUSION: This study demonstrates that general practice could be a feasible location in which an intervention designed to increase NHS ODR registration could be conducted.
CitationJones CP, Papadopoulos C, Randhawa G, Asghar Z (2020) ''Would you like to join the NHS Organ Donor Register?' a general practice feasibility study', British Journal of General Practice, 70
PublisherRoyal College of General Practitioners
- Improving access to organ donor registration in general practice: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Penn-Jones CP, Papadopoulos C, Randhawa G, Asghar Z
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Research protocol: general practice organ donation intervention-a feasibility study (GPOD).
- Authors: Jones CP, Papadopoulos C, Randhawa G, Asghar Z
- Issue date: 2018
- Who's opting-in? A demographic analysis of the U.K. NHS Organ Donor Register.
- Authors: Jones CP, Papadopoulos C, Randhawa G
- Issue date: 2019
- If you needed an organ transplant would you have one? The effect of reciprocity priming and mode of delivery on organ donor registration intentions and behaviour.
- Authors: O'Carroll RE, Haddow L, Foley L, Quigley J
- Issue date: 2017 Sep