Health impact assessment in Nigeria: an initiative whose time has come
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHealth Impact Assessment (HIA) is increasingly applied in many developed countries as a tool for advancing healthy public policy. This research was carried out to obtain a HIA situation report for Nigeria and to assess ways of enhancing the use of HIA to promote healthy public policy. Semi structured questionnaires were administered both online and by hand to health and nonhealth professionals in Nigeria. Inferential statistics was used in the analysis of the 510 responses that were received. Only 29% of the respondents had ever heard about HIA; similarly, only 19.3% of those who were aware of HIA had received any form of HIA training. However, 93.2% of respondents were convinced that HIA would be beneficial to the Nigerian health system. Using the approach of SWOT Analysis to discuss the findings, this research concludes that the time has now come, and the right conditions are in place, for the integration of Health Impact Assessment into public policy in Nigeria. Raising awareness and political commitment are the two major strategies to help drive this agenda forward.
CitationChilaka MA, Ndioho I (2019) 'Health impact assessment in Nigeria: an initiative whose time has come', Journal of Public Health in Africa, 10 (2), pp.1014.
PubMed Central IDPMC7118440
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Implementation of a Health Impact Assessment (HIA) tool in a regional health organization in Sweden--a feasibility study.
- Authors: Finer D, Tillgren P, Berensson K, Guldbrandsson K, Haglund BJ
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Health impact assessment of agriculture and food policies: lessons learnt from the Republic of Slovenia.
- Authors: Lock K, Gabrijelcic-Blenkus M, Martuzzi M, Otorepec P, Wallace P, Dora C, Robertson A, Zakotnic JM
- Issue date: 2003
- Health impact assessment in a network of European cities.
- Authors: Ison E
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Implementing the legal provisions for HIA in Slovakia: an exploration of practitioner perspectives.
- Authors: O'Mullane M
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Health impact assessment (HIA) of political proposals at the local level: successful introduction, but what has happened 15 years later?
- Authors: Berensson K, Tillgren P
- Issue date: 2017 Jun