Genomics evolutionary history and diagnostics of the Alternaria alternata species group including apple and Asian pear pathotypes
AuthorsArmitage, Andrew D.
Cockerton, Helen M.
Lane, Charles R.
Clarkson, John P.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Alternaria section alternaria (Alternaria alternata species group) represents a diverse group of saprotroph, human allergens, and plant pathogens. Alternaria taxonomy has benefited from recent phylogenetic revision but the basis of differentiation between major phylogenetic clades within the group is not yet understood. Furthermore, genomic resources have been limited for the study of host-specific pathotypes. We report near complete genomes of the apple and Asian pear pathotypes as well as draft assemblies for a further 10 isolates representing Alternaria tenuissima and Alternaria arborescens lineages. These assemblies provide the first insights into differentiation of these taxa as well as allowing the description of effector and non-effector profiles of apple and pear conditionally dispensable chromosomes (CDCs). We define the phylogenetic relationship between the isolates sequenced in this study and a further 23 Alternaria spp. based on available genomes. We determine which of these genomes represent MAT1-1-1 or MAT1-2-1 idiomorphs and designate host-specific pathotypes. We show for the first time that the apple pathotype is polyphyletic, present in both the A. arborescens and A. tenuissima lineages. Furthermore, we profile a wider set of 89 isolates for both mating type idiomorphs and toxin gene markers. Mating-type distribution indicated that gene flow has occurred since the formation of A. tenuissima and A. arborescens lineages. We also developed primers designed to AMT14, a gene from the apple pathotype toxin gene cluster with homologs in all tested pathotypes. These primers allow identification and differentiation of apple, pear, and strawberry pathotypes, providing new tools for pathogen diagnostics.
CitationArmitage AD, Cockerton HM, Sreenivasaprasad S, Woodhall J, Lane CR, Harrison RJ, Clarkson JP (2020) 'Genomics evolutionary history and diagnostics of the Alternaria alternata species group including apple and Asian pear pathotypes', Frontiers in Microbiology, 10 (3124)
JournalFrontiers in Microbiology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Discrete lineages within Alternaria alternata species group: Identification using new highly variable loci and support from morphological characters.
- Authors: Armitage AD, Barbara DJ, Harrison RJ, Lane CR, Sreenivasaprasad S, Woodhall JW, Clarkson JP
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- A Polymerase Chain Reaction-Based Method to Specifically Detect Alternaria alternata Apple Pathotype (A. mali), the Causal Agent of Alternaria Blotch of Apple.
- Authors: Johnson RD, Johnson L, Kohmoto K, Otani H, Lane CR, Kodama M
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- Dissection of the host range of the fungal plant pathogen Alternaria alternata by modification of secondary metabolism.
- Authors: Ito K, Tanaka T, Hatta R, Yamamoto M, Akimitsu K, Tsuge T
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- A conditionally dispensable chromosome controls host-specific pathogenicity in the fungal plant pathogen Alternaria alternata.
- Authors: Hatta R, Ito K, Hosaki Y, Tanaka T, Tanaka A, Yamamoto M, Akimitsu K, Tsuge T
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Genomic features and evolution of the conditionally dispensable chromosome in the tangerine pathotype of Alternaria alternata.
- Authors: Wang M, Fu H, Shen XX, Ruan R, Rokas A, Li H
- Issue date: 2019 Oct