Measurement properties of the suicidal behaviour questionnaire - revised in autistic adults
AffiliationUniversity of Nottingham
University of Bedfordshire
University of Worcester
University of Cambridge
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe explored the appropriateness and measurement properties of a suicidality assessment tool (SBQ-R) developed for the general population, in autistic adults-a high risk group for suicide. 188 autistic adults and 183 general population adults completed the tool online, and a sub-sample (n = 15) were interviewed while completing the tool. Multi-group factorial invariance analysis of the online survey data found evidence for metric non-invariance of the SBQ-R, particularly for items three (communication of suicidal intent) and four (likelihood of suicide attempt in the future). Cognitive interviews revealed that autistic adults did not interpret these items as intended by the tool designers. Results suggest autistic adults interpret key questions regarding suicide risk differently to the general population. Future research must adapt tools to better capture suicidality in autistic adults.
CitationCassidy SA, Bradley L, Cogger-Ward H, Shaw R, Bowen E, Glod M, Baron-Cohen S, Rodgers J (2020) 'Measurement properties of the suicidal behaviour questionnaire - revised in autistic adults', Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 50, pp.3477-3488.
PublisherSpringer Verlag (Germany)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Measurement properties of tools used to assess suicidality in autistic and general population adults: A systematic review.
- Authors: Cassidy SA, Bradley L, Bowen E, Wigham S, Rodgers J
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Autistic traits in adults who have attempted suicide.
- Authors: Richards G, Kenny R, Griffiths S, Allison C, Mosse D, Holt R, O'Connor RC, Cassidy S, Baron-Cohen S
- Issue date: 2019
- Are autistic traits associated with suicidality? A test of the interpersonal-psychological theory of suicide in a non-clinical young adult sample.
- Authors: Pelton MK, Cassidy SA
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Suicidal Ideation and Self-inflicted Injury in Medicare Enrolled Autistic Adults With and Without Co-occurring Intellectual Disability.
- Authors: Hand BN, Benevides TW, Carretta HJ
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Risk markers for suicidality in autistic adults.
- Authors: Cassidy S, Bradley L, Shaw R, Baron-Cohen S
- Issue date: 2018