Evidence-based policy making for health promotion to reduce the burden of non-communicable diseases in Moldova
Chater, Angel M.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Republic of Moldova faces several concurrent health challenges most notably an increase in chronic non-communicable diseases, spiralling health care costs and widening health inequalities. To accelerate progress in their resolution there is a need for new and innovative health promotion and behaviour change communication interventions. The Ministry of Health, Labour and Social Protection in collaboration with the newly created National Agency for Public Health held a conference on the occasion of the Moldovan National Day of Health Promotion on 14th March 2018 in which national and invited international experts exchanged their views on (1) best practice examples of behaviour change interventions, health promotion activities and lessons learned from the UK and elsewhere; and (2) possible ways forward for Moldova to implement cost-effective and evidence-based intersectoral health promotion programmes. The experts provided recommendations on implementing behaviour change interventions to reduce and prevent obesity; on the creation of a favourable tobacco control environment to reduce smoking prevalence; and on how physical activity programme design can benefit from health psychology research. All these strategies could foster health promotion activities and ultimately contribute to improving the health outcomes of the Moldovan population.
CitationSécula F, Erismann S, Cerniciuc C, Chater A, Shabab L, Glen F, Curteanu A, Serbulenco A, Silitrari N, Demiscan D, Prytherch H (2020) 'Evidence-based policy making for health promotion to reduce the burden of non-communicable diseases in Moldova', BMC Proceedings, 14(1)
PublisherBMC (part of Springer Nature)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Authors: Bloom BR, Atun R, Cohen T, Dye C, Fraser H, Gomez GB, Knight G, Murray M, Nardell E, Rubin E, Salomon J, Vassall A, Volchenkov G, White R, Wilson D, Yadav P, Holmes KK, Bertozzi S, Bloom BR, Jha P
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 3
- Reducing obesity and related chronic disease risk in children and youth: a synthesis of evidence with 'best practice' recommendations.
- Authors: Flynn MA, McNeil DA, Maloff B, Mutasingwa D, Wu M, Ford C, Tough SC
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- The Economic Impact of Smoking and of Reducing Smoking Prevalence: Review of Evidence.
- Authors: Ekpu VU, Brown AK
- Issue date: 2015
- Developing effective policy and practice for health promotion in Scotland.
- Authors: Wimbush E, Young I, Robertson G
- Issue date: 2007
- Moldova. Historic regional conference.
- Authors: Moshin V
- Issue date: 1995 May