Patient empowerment for cancer patients through a novel ICT infrastructure
PHILIPS Research Europe
European Institute of Oncology, Milan
University of Bedfordshire
Promotion Software GmbH, Berlin
Fraunhofer Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs a result of recent advances in cancer research and “precision medicine” approaches, i.e. the idea of treating each patient with the right drug at the right time, more and more cancer patients are being cured, or might have to cope with a life with cancer. For many people, cancer survival today means living with a complex and chronic condition. Surviving and living with or beyond cancer requires the long-term management of the disease, leading to a significant need for active rehabilitation of the patients. In this paper, we present a novel methodology employed in the iManageCancer project for cancer patient empowerment in which personal health systems, serious games, psychoemotional monitoring and other novel decision-support tools are combined into an integrated patient empowerment platform. We present in detail the ICT infrastructure developed and our evaluation with the involvement of cancer patients on two sites, a large-scale pilot for adults and a small-scale test for children. The evaluation showed mixed evidences on the improvement of patient empowerment, while ability to cope with cancer, including improvement in mood and resilience to cancer, increased for the participants of the adults′ pilot.
CitationKondylakis H, Bucur A, Crico C, Dong F, Graf N, Hoffman S, Koumakis L, Manenti A, Marias K, Mazzocco K, Pravettoni G, Renzi C, Schera F, Triberti S, Tsiknakis M, Kiefer S (2020) 'Patient empowerment for cancer patients through a novel ICT infrastructure', Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 101
PublisherAcademic Press Inc.
- Modular ICT-based patient empowerment framework for self-management of diabetes: Design perspectives and validation results.
- Authors: Lamprinos I, Demski H, Mantwill S, Kabak Y, Hildebrand C, Ploessnig M
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- An interactive ICT platform for early assessment and management of patient-reported concerns among older adults living in ordinary housing - development and feasibility.
- Authors: Algilani S, Langius-Eklöf A, Kihlgren A, Blomberg K
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- EMPOWER-support of patient empowerment by an intelligent self-management pathway for patients: study protocol.
- Authors: Mantwill S, Fiordelli M, Ludolph R, Schulz PJ
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 20
- The role of serious games in the iManageCancer project.
- Authors: Hoffmann S, Wilson S
- Issue date: 2018
- A systematic review of web-based interventions for patient empowerment and physical activity in chronic diseases: relevance for cancer survivors.
- Authors: Kuijpers W, Groen WG, Aaronson NK, van Harten WH
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 20