Patient empowerment for cancer patients through a novel ICT infrastructure
PHILIPS Research Europe
European Institute of Oncology, Milan
University of Bedfordshire
Promotion Software GmbH, Berlin
Fraunhofer Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs a result of recent advances in cancer research and “precision medicine” approaches, i.e. the idea of treating each patient with the right drug at the right time, more and more cancer patients are being cured, or might have to cope with a life with cancer. For many people, cancer survival today means living with a complex and chronic condition. Surviving and living with or beyond cancer requires the long-term management of the disease, leading to a significant need for active rehabilitation of the patients. In this paper, we present a novel methodology employed in the iManageCancer project for cancer patient empowerment in which personal health systems, serious games, psychoemotional monitoring and other novel decision-support tools are combined into an integrated patient empowerment platform. We present in detail the ICT infrastructure developed and our evaluation with the involvement of cancer patients on two sites, a large-scale pilot for adults and a small-scale test for children. The evaluation showed mixed evidences on the improvement of patient empowerment, while ability to cope with cancer, including improvement in mood and resilience to cancer, increased for the participants of the adults′ pilot.
CitationKondylakis H, Bucur A, Crico C, Dong F, Graf N, Hoffman S, Koumakis L, Manenti A, Marias K, Mazzocco K, Pravettoni G, Renzi C, Schera F, Triberti S, Tsiknakis M, Kiefer S (2020) 'Patient empowerment for cancer patients through a novel ICT infrastructure', Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 101
PublisherAcademic Press Inc.
- Modular ICT-based patient empowerment framework for self-management of diabetes: Design perspectives and validation results.
- Authors: Lamprinos I, Demski H, Mantwill S, Kabak Y, Hildebrand C, Ploessnig M
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Assessing the predictive power of psychological empowerment and health literacy for older patients' participation in health care: a cross-sectional population-based study.
- Authors: Sak G, Rothenfluh F, Schulz PJ
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 20
- Interoperability Architecture of the ADLIFE Patient Empowerment Platform.
- Authors: Erturkmen GBL, Yuksel M, Baskaya M, Sarigul B, Teoman A, Yilmaz G, de Manuel E, ADLIFE Consortium
- Issue date: 2021 May 27
- Decision aid influences on factors associated with patient empowerment prior to cancer treatment decision making.
- Authors: Alden DL
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Information and Communications Technology-Based Interventions Targeting Patient Empowerment: Framework Development.
- Authors: Karni L, Dalal K, Memedi M, Kalra D, Klein GO
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 26