Live high, train low - influence on resting and post-exercise hepcidin levels
Abbiss, Chris R.
Peiffer, Jeremiah J.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract) was measured via CO rebreathing 1 week before and after 14 days of hypoxia. Hepcidin was suppressed after 2 (Cohen's d = -2.3, 95% confidence interval: [-2.9, -1.6]) and 14 days of normobaric hypoxia (d = -1.6 [-2.6, -0.6]). Hepcidin increased from baseline, 3 h post-exercise in normoxia (d = 0.8 [0.2, 1.3]) and hypoxia (d = 0.6 [0.3, 1.0]), both before and after exposure (normoxia: d = 0.7 [0.3, 1.2]; hypoxia: d = 1.3 [0.4, 2.3]). In conclusion, 2 weeks of normobaric hypoxia suppressed resting hepcidin levels, but did not alter the post-exercise response in either normoxia or hypoxia, compared with the pre-exposure response.
CitationGovus AD, Peeling P, Abbiss CR, Lawler NG, Swinkels DW, Laarakkers CM, Thompson KG, Peiffer JJ, Gore CJ, Garvican-Lewis LA (2017) 'Live high, train low - influence on resting and post-exercise hepcidin levels', Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 27 (7), pp.704-713.
- Influence of post-exercise hypoxic exposure on hepcidin response in athletes.
- Authors: Badenhorst CE, Dawson B, Goodman C, Sim M, Cox GR, Gore CJ, Tjalsma H, Swinkels DW, Peeling P
- Issue date: 2014 May
- The effects of nightly normobaric hypoxia and high intensity training under intermittent normobaric hypoxia on running economy and hemoglobin mass.
- Authors: Neya M, Enoki T, Kumai Y, Sugoh T, Kawahara T
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Post-exercise serum hepcidin levels were unaffected by hypoxic exposure during prolonged exercise sessions.
- Authors: Goto K, Sumi D, Kojima C, Ishibashi A
- Issue date: 2017
- Individual hemoglobin mass response to normobaric and hypobaric "live high-train low": A one-year crossover study.
- Authors: Hauser A, Troesch S, Saugy JJ, Schmitt L, Cejuela-Anta R, Faiss R, Steiner T, Robinson N, Millet GP, Wehrlin JP
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1
- Similar Hemoglobin Mass Response in Hypobaric and Normobaric Hypoxia in Athletes.
- Authors: Hauser A, Schmitt L, Troesch S, Saugy JJ, Cejuela-Anta R, Faiss R, Robinson N, Wehrlin JP, Millet GP
- Issue date: 2016 Apr