Knowledge, attitudes, and behavior of Nigerian students toward organ donation
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Nigerian transplantation program is evolving but is currently over-reliant on living donors. If deceased donation is to be viable in Nigeria, it is important to ascertain the views of the public. The objective of the study was to explore the knowledge, attitudes, and behavior of Nigerian international students toward organ donation. A cross-sectional study was conducted among Nigerian international students of the University of Bedfordshire through the use of a modified self-administered questionnaire. The participants were recruited by means of purposive sampling. Of the 110 questionnaires distributed, 103 were returned fully completed (response rate = 93.6%). A significant majority (93.2%) of the participants are aware of organ donation, and 76.7% have a good knowledge on the subject. Furthermore, more than half (52.8%) of the participants have a positive attitude toward organ donation, and less than half (42.8%) have favorable behavior toward it. Higher knowledge does not correlate to either positive attitude or behavior, but a positive attitude is correlated with favorable behavior toward donation. The attitudes and behavior of the respondents toward organ donation is not commensurate with the level of knowledge they possess. This highlights the urgent need for well-structured educational programs on deceased organ donation. BACKGROUND METHODS RESULTS CONCLUSIONS
CitationIbrahim M, Randhawa G (2017) 'Knowledge, attitudes, and behavior of Nigerian students toward organ donation', Transplantation Proceedings, 49 (8), pp.1691-1697.
- Attitude and willingness of high school students toward organ donation.
- Authors: Afshar R, Sanavi S, Rajabi MR
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Factors Influencing the Willingness of Allied Health Students to Donate Organs or Tissues.
- Authors: Elsafi SH, Al-Adwani MM, Al-Jubran KM, Abu Hassan MM, Al Zahrani EM
- Issue date: 2017 Jul-Aug
- Survey of the Knowledge of Brainstem Death and Attitude Toward Organ Donation Among Relations of Neurosurgical Patients in Nigeria.
- Authors: Rabiu TB, Oshola HA, Adebayo BO
- Issue date: 2016 Jul-Aug
- Attitudes of the Third-Year Nursing Students Toward Organ Donation: Cross-Sectional Study.
- Authors: Akpınar Söylemez B, Ordin YS
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Evaluation of the Motivation to Consent to and to Refuse Organ Donation Among Participants of Educational Meetings Concerning Organ Transplantation.
- Authors: Milaniak I, Wilczek-Rużyczka E, Wierzbicki K, Sadowski J, Kapelak B, Przybyłowski P
- Issue date: 2016 Jun