Postactivation potentiation and change of direction speed in elite academy rugby players
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study investigated the effect of preceding proagility sprints with maximal isometric squats to determine if postactivation potentiation (PAP) could be harnessed in change of direction speed. Sixteen elite under-17 rugby union players (age: 16 6 0.41 years; body mass: 88.7 6 12.1 kg; height: 1.83 6 0.07 m) from an Aviva Premiership rugby club were tested. Subjects performed a change of direction specific warm-up, followed by 2 baseline proagility tests. After 10-minute recovery, 3 3 3-second maximal isometric squats with a 2-minute recovery between sets were completed as a conditioning activity (CA) on a force plate where peak force and mean rate of force development over 300 milliseconds were measured. The proagility test was repeated at set time intervals of 1, 3, 5, and 7 minutes after the CA. Overall proagility times were significantly slower (p, 0.05) at 1 minute post-CA compared with the baseline (3.3%), with no significant differences occurring at 3, 5, or 7 minutes post-CA. Therefore, it appears that performing multiple sets of maximal isometric squats do not enhance proagility performance.
CitationMarshall J, Turner A, Jarvis P, Maloney S, Cree J, Bishop C (2019) 'Postactivation potentiation and change of direction speed in elite academy rugby players', Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 33 (6), pp.1551-1556.
- Do force-time and power-time measures in a loaded jump squat differentiate between speed performance and playing level in elite and elite junior rugby union players?
- Authors: Hansen KT, Cronin JB, Pickering SL, Douglas L
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Isometric Mid-Thigh Pull Correlates With Strength, Sprint, and Agility Performance in Collegiate Rugby Union Players.
- Authors: Wang R, Hoffman JR, Tanigawa S, Miramonti AA, La Monica MB, Beyer KS, Church DD, Fukuda DH, Stout JR
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Effect of Accommodating Resistance on the Postactivation Potentiation Response in Rugby League Players.
- Authors: Scott DJ, Ditroilo M, Marshall P
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- The temporal profile of postactivation potentiation is related to strength level.
- Authors: Seitz LB, de Villarreal ES, Haff GG
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Optimal recovery time for postactivation potentiation in professional soccer players.
- Authors: Mola JN, Bruce-Low SS, Burnet SJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jun