Improved DNA straightening and attachment via optimal Mg2+ ionic bonding under electric field for AFM imaging in liquid phase
C440 Molecular Genetics
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this research, a novel method is proposed to improve DNA straightening under an applied electric field to facilitate imaging in a liquid phase by modifying the substrate with varying Mg2+ ion concentrations. A two-dimensional network of DNA structures was successfully stretched on Mg2+-modified mica substrates under a DC electric field (1 V, 1 A) and imaged in gaseous and aqueous phases by atomic force microscopy. The results revealed that an optimum concentration of Mg2+ ion (4.17 μmol/ml) allowed DNA straightening under an electric field, thus facilitating its imaging in the liquid phase. Furthermore, DNA adhesion under different concentrations of Mg2+ was measured and a maximum adhesion force of 76.19 pN was achieved. This vital work has great potential in gene knockout and targeted gene editing.
CitationLiu Z, Xu H, Wang Y, Yang F, Yin Y, Zhang S, Weng Z, Song Z, Wang Z (2019) 'Improved DNA straightening and attachment via optimal Mg2+ ionic bonding under electric field for AFM imaging in liquid phase', Micron, 124 (), pp.102678-.
- Controlled Self-Assembly of λ-DNA Networks with the Synergistic Effect of a DC Electric Field.
- Authors: Gao M, Hu J, Wang Y, Liu M, Wang J, Song Z, Xu H, Hu C, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 21
- Imaging DNA molecules on mica surface by atomic force microscopy in air and in liquid.
- Authors: Liu Z, Li Z, Zhou H, Wei G, Song Y, Wang L
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 1
- DC electric-field-induced DNA stretching for AFM and SNOM studies.
- Authors: Kim JM, Ohtani T, Park JY, Chang SM, Muramatsu H
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Covalent immobilization of DNA onto functionalized mica for atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Ji M, Hou P, Lu Z, He N
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- DNA binding to mica correlates with cationic radius: assay by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Hansma HG, Laney DE
- Issue date: 1996 Apr