Impact of clinical placements on graduates' choice of first staff-nurse post
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe demand for quality clinical placements for pre-registration healthcare students is set to rise as student numbers within medical and non-medical education are to increase at a time when there is a recruitment crisis within nursing. A study was conducted to identify what impact clinical placements have on pre-registration adult nursing students’ choice of clinical speciality as a newly qualified nurse (NQN). Data was collected from students on their final day of a BSc (Hons) programme at two campus sites at an east of England University. Participants regard the desirability of a clinical placement on the basis of the quality of the learning, working and clinical environment and nature of the speciality. The influence of clinical placements on the choice of first destination of NQNs more than doubles within the final year of study. Clinical placements generate vivid experiences which exert a strong influence on the first employment destination decisions of NQNs.
CitationWareing M, Taylor R, Wilson A, Sharples A (2018) 'Impact of clinical placements on graduates' choice of first staff-nurse post', British Journal of Nursing, 27 (20), pp.1180-1185.
JournalBritish Journal of Nursing
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as White - archiving not formally supported
- The influence of placements on adult nursing graduates' choice of first post.
- Authors: Wareing M, Taylor R, Wilson A, Sharples A
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 23
- Aspects of nursing student placements associated with perceived likelihood of working in residential aged care.
- Authors: Lea E, Mason R, Eccleston C, Robinson A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Studying nursing in a rural setting: are students adequately supported and prepared for rural practice? A pilot study.
- Authors: Gum LF
- Issue date: 2007 Jan-Mar
- Do midwifery International clinical placements influence students' practice and employment decisions?
- Authors: Geraghty S, Davison C, DeLeo A, Bloxsome D
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Student and educator experiences of maternal-child simulation-based learning: a systematic review of qualitative evidence protocol.
- Authors: MacKinnon K, Marcellus L, Rivers J, Gordon C, Ryan M, Butcher D
- Issue date: 2015 Jan