The HOTSHOT taxonomy and a signature pedagogy framework for operating department practice: the juxtaposition to the academic apartheid surrounding higher order thinking
Subjectsoperating department practice
higher order thinking
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBloom’s insistence on using verbs and Anderson and Karthwohl’s juxtaposition with nouns creates an academic apartheid, where there is only black and white with no grey when addressing the parts of speech used to define Higher Order Thinking. This paper embraces the grey and by draining the conceptual swamp surrounding traditional perceptions of Higher Order Thinking, creates fertile new ground which in turn feeds emergent notions, and allows pioneering characterisation of Higher Order Thinking to propagate.
CitationBeckwith PT (2019) 'The HOTSHOT taxonomy and a signature pedagogy framework for operating department practice: the juxtaposition to the academic apartheid surrounding higher order thinking', Journal of Perioperative Practice, 29 (6), pp.185-192.
- On Pedagogy of Personality Assessment: Application of Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives.
- Authors: Ramirez TV
- Issue date: 2017 Mar-Apr
- Incorporation of Bloom's taxonomy into multiple-choice examination questions for a pharmacotherapeutics course.
- Authors: Kim MK, Patel RA, Uchizono JA, Beck L
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 10
- Pushing Critical Thinking Skills With Multiple-Choice Questions: Does Bloom's Taxonomy Work?
- Authors: Zaidi NLB, Grob KL, Monrad SM, Kurtz JB, Tai A, Ahmed AZ, Gruppen LD, Santen SA
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Role of comprehension on performance at higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy: Findings from assessments of healthcare professional students.
- Authors: Verenna AA, Noble KA, Pearson HE, Miller SM
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Learning Taxonomies in Medical Simulation
- Authors: Orgill BD, Nolin J
- Issue date: 2020 Jan