Biomechanical measurement and analysis of colchicine-induced effects on cells by nanoindentation using an atomic force microscope
Subjectsatomic force microscope
atomic force microscopy
C130 Cell Biology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractColchicine is a drug commonly used for the treatment of gout, however, patients may sometimes encounter side-effects induced by taking colchicine, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and kidney failure. In this regard, it is imperative to investigate the mechanism effects of colchicine on biological cells. In this paper, we present a method for the detection of mechanical properties of nephrocytes (VERO cells), hepatocytes (HL-7702 cells) and hepatoma cells (SMCC-7721 cells) in culture by atomic force microscope(AFM) to analyze the 0.1 μg/mL colchicine-induced effects on the nanoscalefor two, four and six hours. Compared to the corresponding control cells, the biomechanical properties of the VERO and SMCC-7721 cells changed significantly and the HL-7702 cells did not considerably change after the treatment when considering the same time period. Based on biomechanical property analyses, the colchicine solution made the VERO and SMCC-7721 cells harder. We conclude that it is possible to reduce the division rate of the VERO cells and inhibit the metastasis of the SMCC-7721 cells. The method described here can be applied to study biomechanics of many other types of cells with different drugs. Therefore, this work provides an accurate and rapid method for drug screening and mechanical analysis of cells in medical research.
CitationLiu L, Zhang W, L Li, Zhu X, Liu J, Wang X, Song Z, Xu H, Wang Z (2018) 'Biomechanical measurement and analysis of colchicine-induced effects on cells by nanoindentation using an atomic force microscope', Journal of Biomechanics, 76 (23), pp.84-90.
JournalJournal of Biomechanics
SponsorsEU FP7 (BioRA No. 612641), China-EU H2020 (FabSurfWAR Nos. 2016YFE0112100 and 644971), EU H2020 (MNR4SCell No. 734174), and Jilin Provincial Science and Technology Program (Nos. 20140414009GH, 20140622009JC and 20160623002TC). These sponsors had no role in the study design or the writing of the manuscript, or the decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Analysis of Colchicine-Induced Effects on Hepatoma and Hepatocyte Cells by Atomic Force Microscopy.
- Authors: Liu L, Wang Z, Zhang W, Zhu X, Li L, Weng Z
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 1
- AFM-based study of fullerenol (C60(OH)24)-induced changes of elasticity in living SMCC-7721 cells.
- Authors: Liu Y, Wang Z, Wang X
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Quantitative analysis of dynamic adhesion properties in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells with fullerenol.
- Authors: Liu Y, Wang Z, Wang X, Huang Y
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Effect of cell sample size in atomic force microscopy nanoindentation.
- Authors: Marcotti S, Reilly GC, Lacroix D
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Nanoscale mechanical probing of supported lipid bilayers with atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Das C, Sheikh KH, Olmsted PD, Connell SD
- Issue date: 2010 Oct