Classification of elderly as fallers and non-fallers using centre of pressure velocity
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFalls are a leading cause of death in the elderly. One of the most common methods of predicting falls is to evaluate balance using force plate measurement of the Centre of Pressure (COP) displacement. This signal, known as a stabilogram, can be decomposed into movement in anteroposterior (AP) and mediolateral (ML) directions. It has been suggested that studying the velocity of COP displacement could lead to new insights into fall risk. The aim of this study was to attempt to classify elderly fallers and non-fallers, as well as control subjects based on COP velocity measurements. Three groups of 10 subjects (controls, elderly fallers, and elderly non-fallers) were compared. Discriminant function analysis was able to correctly classify 90% of the subjects based only on COP velocity measurements. Further work is needed to determine whether this parameter might be of use in longitudinal measurement of fall risk in home-dwelling elderly.
CitationHewson DJ, Singh NK, Snoussi H, Duchene J (2010) 'Classification of elderly as fallers and non-fallers using centre of pressure velocity', 2010 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology - Buenos Aires, IEEE.
TypeConference papers, meetings and proceedings
- Aging, muscle activity, and balance control: physiologic changes associated with balance impairment.
- Authors: Laughton CA, Slavin M, Katdare K, Nolan L, Bean JF, Kerrigan DC, Phillips E, Lipsitz LA, Collins JJ
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Elderly fall risk prediction using static posturography.
- Authors: Howcroft J, Lemaire ED, Kofman J, McIlroy WE
- Issue date: 2017
- A prospective study of laboratory and clinical measures of postural stability to predict community-dwelling fallers.
- Authors: Brauer SG, Burns YR, Galley P
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Recurrence quantification analysis of human postural fluctuations in older fallers and non-fallers.
- Authors: Ramdani S, Tallon G, Bernard PL, Blain H
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- A Non Linear Scoring Approach for Evaluating Balance: Classification of Elderly as Fallers and Non-Fallers.
- Authors: Audiffren J, Bargiotas I, Vayatis N, Vidal PP, Ricard D
- Issue date: 2016