Microbial oxidation of arsenite in a subarctic environment: diversity of arsenite oxidase genes and identification of a psychrotolerant arsenite oxidiser
AuthorsOsborne, Thomas H.
Jamieson, Heather E.
Hudson-Edwards, Karen A.
Nordstrom, D. Kirk
Walker, Stephen R.
Ward, Seamus A.
Santini, Joanne M.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractArsenic is toxic to most living cells. The two soluble inorganic forms of arsenic are arsenite (+3) and arsenate (+5), with arsenite the more toxic. Prokaryotic metabolism of arsenic has been reported in both thermal and moderate environments and has been shown to be involved in the redox cycling of arsenic. No arsenic metabolism (either dissimilatory arsenate reduction or arsenite oxidation) has ever been reported in cold environments (i.e. < 10°C).
CitationOsborne TH, Jamieson HE, Hudson-Edwards KA, Nordstrom DK, Walker SR, Ward SA, Santini JM (2010) 'Microbial oxidation of arsenite in a subarctic environment: diversity of arsenite oxidase genes and identification of a psychrotolerant arsenite oxidiser', BMC Microbiology, 10 (205), pp.-.
PubMed Central IDPMC2921403
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Functions and Unique Diversity of Genes and Microorganisms Involved in Arsenite Oxidation from the Tailings of a Realgar Mine.
- Authors: Zeng XC, E G, Wang J, Wang N, Chen X, Mu Y, Li H, Yang Y, Liu Y, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 15
- Constitutive arsenite oxidase expression detected in arsenic-hypertolerant Pseudomonas xanthomarina S11.
- Authors: Koechler S, Arsène-Ploetze F, Brochier-Armanet C, Goulhen-Chollet F, Heinrich-Salmeron A, Jost B, Lièvremont D, Philipps M, Plewniak F, Bertin PN, Lett MC
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Detection, diversity and expression of aerobic bacterial arsenite oxidase genes.
- Authors: Inskeep WP, Macur RE, Hamamura N, Warelow TP, Ward SA, Santini JM
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Genetic identification of arsenate reductase and arsenite oxidase in redox transformations carried out by arsenic metabolising prokaryotes - A comprehensive review.
- Authors: Kumari N, Jagadevan S
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Genes involved in arsenic transformation and resistance associated with different levels of arsenic-contaminated soils.
- Authors: Cai L, Liu G, Rensing C, Wang G
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 8