Repression of hedgehog signal transduction in T-lineage cells increases TCR-induced activation and proliferation
AuthorsRowbotham, Nicola J.
Furmanski, Anna L.
Hager-Theodorides, Ariadne L.
Outram, Susan V.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHedgehog proteins signal for differentiation, survival and proliferation of the earliest thymocyte progenitors, but their functions at later stages of thymocyte development and in peripheral T-cell function are controversial. Here we show that repression of Hedgehog (Hh) pathway activation in T-lineage cells, by expression of a transgenic repressor form of Gli2 (Gli2DeltaC2), increased T-cell differentiation and activationin response to TCR signalling. Expression of the Gli2DeltaC2 transgene increased differentiation from CD4(+)CD8(+) to single positive thymocyte, and increased peripheral T cell populations. Gli2DeltaC2 T-cells were hyper-responsive to activation by ligation of CD3 and CD28: they expressed cell surface activation markers CD69 and CD25 more quickly, and proliferated more than wild-type T-cells. These data show that Hedgehog pathway activation in thymocytes and T-cells negatively regulates TCR-dependent differentiation and proliferation. Thus, as negative regulators of TCR-dependent events, Hh proteins provide an environmental influence on T-cell fate.
CitationRowbotham NJ, Furmanski AL, Hager-Theodorides AL, Ross SE, Drakopoulou E, Koufaris C, Outram SV, Crompton T (2008) 'Repression of hedgehog signal transduction in T-lineage cells increases TCR-induced activation and proliferation', Cell Cycle, 7 (7), pp.-.
PublisherTaylor & Frances
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Sonic hedgehog negatively regulates pre-TCR-induced differentiation by a Gli2-dependent mechanism.
- Authors: Rowbotham NJ, Hager-Theodorides AL, Furmanski AL, Ross SE, Outram SV, Dessens JT, Crompton T
- Issue date: 2009 May 21
- Activation of the Hedgehog signaling pathway in T-lineage cells inhibits TCR repertoire selection in the thymus and peripheral T-cell activation.
- Authors: Rowbotham NJ, Hager-Theodorides AL, Cebecauer M, Shah DK, Drakopoulou E, Dyson J, Outram SV, Crompton T
- Issue date: 2007 May 1
- Indian hedgehog (Ihh) both promotes and restricts thymocyte differentiation.
- Authors: Outram SV, Hager-Theodorides AL, Shah DK, Rowbotham NJ, Drakopoulou E, Ross SE, Lanske B, Dessens JT, Crompton T
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 5
- The transcriptional activator Gli2 modulates T-cell receptor signalling through attenuation of AP-1 and NFκB activity.
- Authors: Furmanski AL, Barbarulo A, Solanki A, Lau CI, Sahni H, Saldana JI, D'Acquisto F, Crompton T
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 1
- Role of Hedgehog signalling at the transition from double-positive to single-positive thymocyte.
- Authors: Furmanski AL, Saldana JI, Rowbotham NJ, Ross SE, Crompton T
- Issue date: 2012 Feb