Role of endogenous annexin-A1 in the regulation of thymocyte positive and negative selection
Rowbotham, Nicola J.
Furmanski, Anna L.
AffiliationQueen Mary University of London
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have recently shown that endogenous Annexin-A1 (AnxA1) plays a homeostatic regulatory role in mature T cells by modulating the strength of TCR signaling. In this study we investigated the role of endogenous AnxA1 in thymocyte maturation. Analysis of AnxA1(-/-) thymocyte populations at the immature CD4(-)CD8(-) double negative (DN) stage showed a proportional decrease in the DN1 and an increase in the DN3 subsets compared to control littermates. There were no significant differences in thymocyte numbers or proportions of CD4(+) and CD8(+) single positive (SP) populations between Anx1(-/-) and AnxA1(+/+) mice. However, when we crossed AnxA1(-/-) mice onto HY-TCR transgenic mice, we observed an increase in CD4(+)CD8(+) double positive (DP) and CD4 SP cells in male AnxA1(-/-)/HY-TCR compared to AnxA1(+/+)/HY-TCR. Conversely, female AnxA1(-/-)/HY-TCR mice showed an increase in DP and a decrease in CD8 (SP) cells compared to female AnxA1(+/+)/HY-TCR. Biochemical analysis of the signaling pathways responsible for these effects showed a decrease in anti-CD3-induced Erk phosphorylation and NFkappaB activation in AnxA1(-/-) thymocytes compared to control littermates. Together these findings demonstrate a role for endogenous AnxA1 in regulating both positive and negative selection of the TCR repertoire. These results suggest that targeting AnxA1 expression or function in T cells could represent a useful approach for the development of novel therapies for the treatment of autoimmune diseases.
CitationPaschalidis N, Huggins A, Rowbotham NJ, Furmanski AL, Crompton T, Flower RJ, Perretti M, D'Acquisto F (2010) 'Role of endogenous annexin-A1 in the regulation of thymocyte positive and negative selection', Cell Cycle, 9 (4), pp.784-793.
PublisherTaylor & Francis
- Programmed death-1 (PD-1):PD-ligand 1 interactions inhibit TCR-mediated positive selection of thymocytes.
- Authors: Keir ME, Latchman YE, Freeman GJ, Sharpe AH
- Issue date: 2005 Dec 1
- Immature thymocyte antigen-1: a novel thymocyte marker discriminating pre- and post-selected thymocytes.
- Authors: Kishi H, Tong JJ, Nagata T, Muraguchi A
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- Contributions of the T cell receptor-associated CD3gamma-ITAM to thymocyte selection.
- Authors: Haks MC, Pépin E, van den Brakel JH, Smeele SA, Belkowski SM, Kessels HW, Krimpenfort P, Kruisbeek AM
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 1
- Examination of thymic positive and negative selection by flow cytometry.
- Authors: Hu Q, Nicol SA, Suen AY, Baldwin TA
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 8
- Role of CTLA-4 in the activation of single- and double-positive thymocytes.
- Authors: Kwon H, Jun HS, Khil LY, Yoon JW
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 1