Regulation of murine normal and stress-induced erythropoiesis by Desert Hedgehog
Outram, Susan V.
Saldaña, José Ignacio
Furmanski, Anna L.
Dessens, Johannes T.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe function of Hedgehog signaling in hematopoiesis is controversial, with different experimental systems giving opposing results. Here we examined the role of Desert Hedgehog (Dhh) in the regulation of murine erythropoiesis. Dhh is one of 3 mammalian Hedgehog family proteins. Dhh is essential for testis development and Schwann cell function. We show, by analysis of Dhh-deficient mice, that Dhh negatively regulates multiple stages of erythrocyte differentiation. In Dhh-deficient bone marrow, the common myeloid progenitor (CMP) population was increased, but differentiation from CMP to granulocyte/macrophage progenitor was decreased, and the mature granulocyte population was decreased, compared with wild-type (WT). In contrast, differentiation from CMP to megakaryocyte/erythrocyte progenitor was increased, and the megakaryocyte/erythrocyte progenitor population was increased. In addition, we found that erythroblast populations were Dhh-responsive in vitro and ex vivo and that Dhh negatively regulated erythroblast differentiation. In Dhh-deficient spleen and bone marrow, BFU-Es and erythroblast populations were increased compared with WT. During recovery of hematopoiesis after irradiation, and under conditions of stress-induced erythropoiesis, erythrocyte differentiation was accelerated in both spleen and bone marrow of Dhh-deficient mice compared with WT.
CitationLau C, Outram SV, Saldaña JI, Furmanski AL, Dessens JT, Crompton T (2012) 'Regulation of murine normal and stress-induced erythropoiesis by Desert Hedgehog', Blood, 119 (20), pp.4741-4751.
PublisherAmerican Society of Hematology
PubMed Central IDPMC3375146
- EPO-mediated expansion of late-stage erythroid progenitors in the bone marrow initiates recovery from sublethal radiation stress.
- Authors: Peslak SA, Wenger J, Bemis JC, Kingsley PD, Koniski AD, McGrath KE, Palis J
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 20
- Heme oxygenase-1 deletion affects stress erythropoiesis.
- Authors: Cao YA, Kusy S, Luong R, Wong RJ, Stevenson DK, Contag CH
- Issue date: 2011
- Endothelial Cell-Selective Adhesion Molecule Expression in Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor Cells Is Essential for Erythropoiesis Recovery after Bone Marrow Injury.
- Authors: Sudo T, Yokota T, Okuzaki D, Ueda T, Ichii M, Ishibashi T, Isono T, Habuchi Y, Oritani K, Kanakura Y
- Issue date: 2016
- Unrestrained erythroblast development in Nix-/- mice reveals a mechanism for apoptotic modulation of erythropoiesis.
- Authors: Diwan A, Koesters AG, Odley AM, Pushkaran S, Baines CP, Spike BT, Daria D, Jegga AG, Geiger H, Aronow BJ, Molkentin JD, Macleod KF, Kalfa TA, Dorn GW 2nd
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 17
- Desert hedgehog promotes ischemia-induced angiogenesis by ensuring peripheral nerve survival.
- Authors: Renault MA, Chapouly C, Yao Q, Larrieu-Lahargue F, Vandierdonck S, Reynaud A, Petit M, Jaspard-Vinassa B, Belloc I, Traiffort E, Ruat M, Duplàa C, Couffinhal T, Desgranges C, Gadeau AP
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 1