MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCyberbullying is a growing problem in the fast-evolving world of social media. Although this problem has been studied extensively, there is relatively little research examining it from the angle of the dark tetrad (i.e., Psychopathy, Machiavellianism, Sadism and Narcissism), especially across different ethnicities.In other words, this research makes original contribution by exploring the predictive ability of the dark tetrad traits in individuals of different ethnicities and their subsequent willingness to engage in cyberbullying. The study (N=1464) explores whether there is a positive association between the dark tetrad personality traits and cyberbullying. The results reveal that all four traits predict cyberbullying in participants from across three different ethnicities (Asian, Black and White). Furthermore, female participants score less than their male counterparts across all four traits. Researchers, academics and legislators might potentially benefit from this research by considering focusing their interventions on helping offenders minimize the display of certain personality traits, thus taking steps towards cyberbullying reduction.
CitationBrown W, Hazraty S, Palasinski M (2019) 'Examining the dark tetrad and its links to cyberbullying', Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 22 (8), pp.552-557.
PublisherMary Ann Liebert
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Dispositional malevolence and impression formation: Dark Tetrad associations with accuracy and positivity in first impressions.
- Authors: Rogers KH, Le MT, Buckels EE, Kim M, Biesanz JC
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- The dark side of internet: Preliminary evidence for the associations of dark personality traits with specific online activities and problematic internet use.
- Authors: Kircaburun K, Griffiths MD
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 1
- Childhood Emotional Abuse and Cyberbullying Perpetration: The Role of Dark Personality Traits.
- Authors: Kircaburun K, Jonason P, Griffiths MD, Aslanargun E, Emirtekin E, Tosuntaş ŞB, Billieux J
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 2
- Aggression as a trait: the Dark Tetrad alternative.
- Authors: Paulhus DL, Curtis SR, Jones DN
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Predicting Short- and Long-Term Mating Orientations: The Role of Sex and the Dark Tetrad.
- Authors: Tsoukas A, March E
- Issue date: 2018 Nov-Dec