Tandem oligomeric expression of metallothionein enhance heavy metal tolerance and bioaccumulation in Escherichia coli.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMetallothioneins (MTs) are a family of low molecular weight, cysteine-rich, metal-binding proteins, which play important roles in metal homeostasis and heavy metal detoxification. In our previous study, a novel full length MT cDNA was successfully cloned from the freshwater crab (Sinopotamon henanense). In the present study, tandem repeats of two and three copies of the crab MT gene were integrated by overlap extension PCR (SOEPCR) and expressed in Escherichia coli. The SUMO fusion expression system was adopted to increase the stability and solubility of the recombinant MT proteins. The recombinant proteins were purified and their metal-binding abilities were further analyzed by the ultraviolet absorption spectral scan. Furthermore, the metal tolerance and bioaccumulation of E. coli cells expressing oligomeric MTs were determined. Results showed that the recombinant plasmids pET28a-SUMO-2MT and pET28a-SUMO-3MT were successfully constructed. SDS-PAGE analysis showed that the SUMO-2MT and SUMO-3MT were expressed mainly in the soluble forms. Oligomeric MTs expression significantly enhanced Cu, Cd or Zn tolerance and accumulation in E. coli in the order: SUMO-3MT˃SUMO-2MT˃SUMO-MT˃control. Cells harboring pET28a-SUMO -3MT exhibited the highest Cu, Cd or Zn bioaccumulation at 5.8-fold, 3.1-fold or 6.7-fold higher than that of the control cells. Our research could lay a foundation for large-scale preparation of MTs and provide a scientific basis for bioremediation of heavy metal pollution by oligomeric MTs.
CitationMa W, Li X, Wang Q, Ren Z, Crabbe MJC, Wang L (2019) 'Tandem oligomeric expression of metallothionein enhance heavy metal tolerance and bioaccumulation in Escherichia coli.', Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 181 (), pp.301-307.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Expression of metallothionein of freshwater crab (Sinopotamon henanense) in Escherichia coli enhances tolerance and accumulation of zinc, copper and cadmium.
- Authors: He Y, Ma W, Li Y, Liu J, Jing W, Wang L
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Genetic modifications of metallothionein enhance the tolerance and bioaccumulation of heavy metals in Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Li X, Ren Z, Crabbe MJC, Wang L, Ma W
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 1
- Secretory expression, immunoaffinity purification and metal-binding ability of recombinant metallothionein (ShMT) from freshwater crab Sinopotamon henanense.
- Authors: He Y, Wang L, Ma W, Lu X, Li Y, Liu J
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Metal binding characterization of heterologously expressed metallothionein of the freshwater crab Sinopotamon henanense.
- Authors: Yang HZ, Gu WJ, Chen W, Hwang JS, Wang L
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Study on metal binding capacity of the freshwater crab Sinopotamon henanense's recombinant copper specific binding metallothionein expressed in Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Wang L, Yang HZ, Ma WL, Chen CM, Wang L
- Issue date: 2022 Jan