Response and interventions into harmful sexual behaviour in schools
Subjectsharmful sexual behaviour
child sexual abuse
L500 Social Work
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInternationally young people report experiencing sexual abuse and violence within schools. Developments within the field of adolescent sexual harm are increasingly recognising the need for ecological approaches to harm. Yet, to date, interventions with young people displaying harmful sexual behaviours have prioritised individual behaviours and characteristics over place-based interventions. This article presents empirical evidence from a mixed-methods study aimed at understanding the enablers and barriers to preventing and responding to harmful sexual behaviour in schools. Research was carried out in seven schools and four multi-agency partnerships in England, UK. Using evidence from focus groups, observations, case reviews and policy analysis the article outlines nine components that enable, or are barriers to, effective responses and interventions into harmful sexual behaviour in schools. The paper concludes that responses and interventions into harmful sexual behaviour must move beyond responding to individual behaviours to intervening within factors within schools themselves.
CitationLloyd J (2019) 'Response and interventions into harmful sexual behaviour in schools', Child Abuse and Neglect, Elsevier (94) 104037
JournalChild Abuse and Neglect
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- 'Snitches get stitches': School-specific barriers to victim disclosure and peer reporting of sexual harm committed by young people in school contexts.
- Authors: Allnock D, Atkinson R
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- A cluster-randomized trial of a middle school gender violence prevention program: Design, rationale, and sample characteristics.
- Authors: Abebe KZ, Jones KA, Ciaravino S, Ripper L, Paglisotti T, Morrow SE, Grafals M, Van Dusen C, Miller E
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Sexual violence: the victim.
- Authors: Bloom SL
- Issue date: 2000 Summer
- Harmful sexual behaviour among children and young people: NICE guideline 2016.
- Authors: Garrett E, Doherty A, Hann G
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Addressing intimate partner violence and sexual violence among adolescents: emerging evidence of effectiveness.
- Authors: Lundgren R, Amin A
- Issue date: 2015 Jan