Clapworthy, Gordon J.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn many biomechanical problems, the availability of a suitable model for the wrapping of muscles when undergoing movement is essential for the estimation of forces produced on and by the body during motion. This is an important factor in the Osteoporotic Virtual Physiological Human project which is investigating the likelihood of fracture for osteoporotic patients undertaking a variety of movements. The weakening of their skeletons makes them particularly vulnerable to bone fracture caused by excessive loading being placed on the bones, even in simple everyday tasks. This paper provides an overview of a novel volumetric model that describes muscle wrapping around bones and other muscles during movement, and which includes a consideration of how the orientations of the muscle fibres change during the motion. The method can calculate the form of wrapping of a muscle of medium size and visualize the outcome within tenths of seconds on commodity hardware, while conserving muscle volume. This makes the method suitable not only for educational biomedical software, but also for clinical applications used to identify weak muscles that should be strengthened during rehabilitation or to identify bone stresses in order to estimate the risk of fractures.
CitationKohout J, Clapworthy GJ, Zhao Y, Tao Y, Gonzalez-Garcia G, Dong F, Wei H, Kohoutová E (2013) 'Patient-specific fibre-based models of muscle wrapping', Interface Focus, 3 (2), pp.-.
PubMed Central IDPMC3638471
- The application of muscle wrapping to voxel-based finite element models of skeletal structures.
- Authors: Liu J, Shi J, Fitton LC, Phillips R, O'Higgins P, Fagan MJ
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Automated muscle wrapping using finite element contact detection.
- Authors: Favre P, Gerber C, Snedeker JG
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 20
- Muscle wrapping on arbitrary meshes with the heat method.
- Authors: Zarifi O, Stavness I
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Muscle Path Wrapping on Arbitrary Surfaces.
- Authors: Lloyd J, Roewer-Despres F, Stavness I
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 16
- The convex wrapping algorithm: a method for identifying muscle paths using the underlying bone mesh.
- Authors: Desailly E, Sardain P, Khouri N, Yepremian D, Lacouture P
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 17