A novel approach to oral iron delivery using ferrous sulphate loaded solid lipid nanoparticles
AuthorsZariwala, Mohammed Gulrez
Jackson, Timothy L.
Corral López, Francisco
AffiliationUniversity of Westminster
University College London
King's College Hospital
University of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIron (Fe) loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN's) were formulated using stearic acid and iron absorption was evaluated in vitro using the cell line Caco-2 with intracellular ferritin formation as a marker of iron absorption. Iron loading was optimised at 1% Fe (w/w) lipid since an inverse relation was observed between initial iron concentration and SLN iron incorporation efficiency. Chitosan (Chi) was included to prepare chitosan coated SLN's. Particle size analysis revealed a sub-micron size range (300.3±31.75 nm to 495.1±80.42 nm), with chitosan containing particles having the largest dimensions. As expected, chitosan (0.1%, 0.2% and 0.4% w/v) conferred a net positive charge on the particle surface in a concentration dependent manner. For iron absorption experiments equal doses of Fe (20 μM) from selected formulations (SLN-FeA and SLN-Fe-ChiB) were added to Caco-2 cells and intracellular ferritin protein concentrations determined. Caco-2 iron absorption from SLN-FeA (583.98±40.83 ng/mg cell protein) and chitosan containing SLN-Fe-ChiB (642.77±29.37 ng/mg cell protein) were 13.42% and 24.9% greater than that from ferrous sulphate (FeSO4) reference (514.66±20.43 ng/mg cell protein) (p≤0.05). We demonstrate for the first time preparation, characterisation and superior iron absorption in vitro from SLN's, suggesting the potential of these formulations as a novel system for oral iron delivery.
CitationZariwala MG, Elsaid N, Jackson TL, Corral López F, Farnaud S, Somavarapu S, Renshaw D (2013) 'A novel approach to oral iron delivery using ferrous sulphate loaded solid lipid nanoparticles', International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 456 (2), pp.400-7.
- Ascorbyl palmitate/DSPE-PEG nanocarriers for oral iron delivery: preparation, characterisation and in vitro evaluation.
- Authors: Zariwala MG, Farnaud S, Merchant Z, Somavarapu S, Renshaw D
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 1
- Long-term stability, biocompatibility and oral delivery potential of risperidone-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles.
- Authors: Silva AC, Kumar A, Wild W, Ferreira D, Santos D, Forbes B
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 15
- Design and evaluation of polymer coated carvedilol loaded solid lipid nanoparticles to improve the oral bioavailability: a novel strategy to avoid intraduodenal administration.
- Authors: Venishetty VK, Chede R, Komuravelli R, Adepu L, Sistla R, Diwan PV
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 15
- Preparation and in vitro, in vivo evaluations of norfloxacin-loaded solid lipid nanopartices for oral delivery.
- Authors: Dong Z, Xie S, Zhu L, Wang Y, Wang X, Zhou W
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Solid lipid nanoparticles for oral drug delivery: chitosan coating improves stability, controlled delivery, mucoadhesion and cellular uptake.
- Authors: Luo Y, Teng Z, Li Y, Wang Q
- Issue date: 2015 May 20