Ascorbyl palmitate/DSPE-PEG nanocarriers for oral iron delivery: preparation, characterisation and in vitro evaluation
AuthorsZariwala, Mohammed Gulrez
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this study was to encapsulate iron in nanocarriers formulated with ascorbyl palmitate and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphoethanolamine polyethylene glycol (DSPE-PEG) for oral delivery. Blank and iron (Fe) loaded nanocarriers were prepared by a modified thin film method using ascorbyl palmitate and DSPE-PEG. Surface charge of the nanocarriers was modified by the inclusion of chitosan (CHI) during the formulation process. Blank and iron loaded ascorbyl palmitate/DSPE nanocarriers were visualised by transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and physiochemical characterisations of the nanocarriers carried out to determine the mean particle size and zeta potential. Inclusion of chitosan imparted a net positive charge on the nanocarrier surface and also led to an increase in mean particle size. Iron entrapment in ascorbyl palmitate-Fe and ascorbyl palmitate-CHI-Fe nanocarriers was 67% and 76% respectively, suggesting a beneficial effect of chitosan on nanocarrier Fe entrapment. Iron absorption was estimated by measuring Caco-2 cell ferritin formation using ferrous sulphate as a reference standard. Iron absorption from ascorbyl palmitate-Fe (592.17±21.12 ng/mg cell protein) and ascorbyl palmitate-CHI-Fe (800.12±47.6 ng/mg, cell protein) nanocarriers was 1.35-fold and 1.5-fold higher than that from free ferrous sulphate, respectively (505.74±23.73 ng/mg cell protein) (n=6, p<0.05). This study demonstrates for the first time preparation and characterisation of iron loaded ascorbyl palmitate/DSPE PEG nanocarriers, and that engineering of the nanocarriers with chitosan leads to a significant augmentation of iron absorption.
CitationZariwala MG, Farnaud S, Merchant Z, Somavarapu S, Renshaw D (2014) 'Ascorbyl palmitate/DSPE-PEG nanocarriers for oral iron delivery: preparation, characterisation and in vitro evaluation', Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 115 (), pp.86-92.
- A novel approach to oral iron delivery using ferrous sulphate loaded solid lipid nanoparticles.
- Authors: Zariwala MG, Elsaid N, Jackson TL, Corral López F, Farnaud S, Somavarapu S, Renshaw D
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 18
- Preparation and characterization of paclitaxel-loaded DSPE-PEG-liquid crystalline nanoparticles (LCNPs) for improved bioavailability.
- Authors: Zeng N, Hu Q, Liu Z, Gao X, Hu R, Song Q, Gu G, Xia H, Yao L, Pang Z, Jiang X, Chen J, Fang L
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 15
- Ascorbyl dipalmitate/PEG-lipid nanoparticles as a novel carrier for hydrophobic drugs.
- Authors: Moribe K, Maruyama S, Inoue Y, Suzuki T, Fukami T, Tomono K, Higashi K, Tozuka Y, Yamamoto K
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 15
- Composition-dependent structural changes and antitumor activity of ASC-DP/DSPE-PEG nanoparticles.
- Authors: Higashi K, Mibu F, Saito K, Limwikrant W, Yamamoto K, Moribe K
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1
- Design and evaluation of micellar nanocarriers for 17-allyamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (17-AAG).
- Authors: Chandran T, Katragadda U, Teng Q, Tan C
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 15