Low-cost and data anonymised city traffic flow data collection to support intelligent traffic system
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
GPS (Global Positioning System)
F891 Geographical Information Systems
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are many methods of collecting traffic flow data, especially using smart phone apps. However, few current solutions balance the need for collecting full route data whilst respecting privacy and remaining low-cost. This project looks into the creation of a wireless sensor network (WSN) that can balance these requirements in an attempt to negate some of the concerns that come with this type of technology. Our proposed system only collects location data within a defined city area. This data is collected with a randomized identifier, which limits repeated identification of the source vehicle and its occupants. Data collected is shared between vehicle and roadside base stations when the two are in range. To deal with the fluid nature of this scenario, a purposely designed Media Access Control (MAC) protocol was designed and implemented using the beacon-slotted ALOHA (Advocates of Linux Open-source Hawaii Association) mechanism.
CitationHandscombe J, Yu HQ (2019) 'Low-cost and data anonymised city traffic flow data collection to support intelligent traffic system', Sensors, 19 (2), pp.347-.
PubMed Central IDPMC6358924
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Design and Implementation of a Smart Traffic Signal Control System for Smart City Applications.
- Authors: Lee WH, Chiu CY
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 16
- Energy-efficient boarder node medium access control protocol for wireless sensor networks.
- Authors: Razaque A, Elleithy KM
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 12
- The impact of the congestion charging scheme on air quality in London. Part 1. Emissions modeling and analysis of air pollution measurements.
- Authors: Kelly F, Anderson HR, Armstrong B, Atkinson R, Barratt B, Beevers S, Derwent D, Green D, Mudway I, Wilkinson P, HEI Health Review Committee.
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Performance Analysis of a Novel Hybrid S-ALOHA/TDMA Protocol for Beta Distributed Massive MTC Access.
- Authors: Sui N, Xu Y, Wang C, Xie W
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 15
- Traffic Vehicle Counting in Jam Flow Conditions Using Low-Cost and Energy-Efficient Wireless Magnetic Sensors.
- Authors: Bao X, Li H, Xu D, Jia L, Ran B, Rong J
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 6