A diverse and intricate signalling network regulates stem cell fate in the shoot apical meristem
AffiliationUniversity of Cambridge
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAt the shoot apex of plants is a small region known as the shoot apical meristem (SAM) that maintains a population of undifferentiated (stem) cells whilst providing cells for developing lateral organs and the stem. All aerial structures of the plant develop from the SAM post-embryogenesis, enabling plants to grow in a characteristic modular fashion with great phenotypic and developmental plasticity throughout their lifetime. The maintenance of the stem cell population is intimately balanced with cell recruitment into differentiating tissues through intercellular communication involving a complex signalling network. Recent studies have shown that diverse regulators function in SAM maintenance, many of which converge on the WUSCHEL (WUS) gene. In this review the diverse regulatory modules that function in SAM maintenance are discussed: transcriptional and epigenetic control, hormonal regulation, and the balance with organogenesis. The central role of WUS as an integrator of multiple signals is highlighted; in addition, accessory feedback loops emerge as a feature enabling dynamic regulation of the stem cell niche.
CitationDodsworth S. (2009) 'A diverse and intricate signalling network regulates stem cell fate in the shoot apical meristem', Developmental Biology, 336 (1), pp.1-9.
PublisherAcademic Press Inc.
- Genetic and epigenetic regulation of stem cell homeostasis in plants.
- Authors: Lodha M, Marco CF, Timmermans MC
- Issue date: 2008
- Conserved factors regulate signalling in Arabidopsis thaliana shoot and root stem cell organizers.
- Authors: Sarkar AK, Luijten M, Miyashima S, Lenhard M, Hashimoto T, Nakajima K, Scheres B, Heidstra R, Laux T
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 12
- Coordination of cell proliferation and cell fate decisions in the angiosperm shoot apical meristem.
- Authors: Fletcher JC
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Novel insights from live-imaging in shoot meristem development.
- Authors: Sijacic P, Liu Z
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Regulation of WUSCHEL transcription in the stem cell niche of the Arabidopsis shoot meristem.
- Authors: Bäurle I, Laux T
- Issue date: 2005 Aug