Genome size diversity in angiosperms and its influence on gene space
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGenome size varies c. 2400-fold in angiosperms (flowering plants), although the range of genome size is skewed towards small genomes, with a mean genome size of 1C = 5.7 Gb. One of the most crucial factors governing genome size in angiosperms is the relative amount and activity of repetitive elements. Recently, there have been new insights into how these repeats, previously discarded as ‘junk’ DNA, can have a significant impact on gene space (i.e. the part of the genome comprising all the genes and gene-related DNA). Here we review these new findings and explore in what ways genome size itself plays a role in influencing how repeats impact genome dynamics and gene space, including gene expression.
CitationDodsworth S., Leitch A., Leitch I. (2015) 'Genome size diversity in angiosperms and its influence on gene space', Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, 35 (), pp.73-78.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- A universe of dwarfs and giants: genome size and chromosome evolution in the monocot family Melanthiaceae.
- Authors: Pellicer J, Kelly LJ, Leitch IJ, Zomlefer WB, Fay MF
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Evolution of genome size and chromosome number in the carnivorous plant genus Genlisea (Lentibulariaceae), with a new estimate of the minimum genome size in angiosperms.
- Authors: Fleischmann A, Michael TP, Rivadavia F, Sousa A, Wang W, Temsch EM, Greilhuber J, Müller KF, Heubl G
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Nutrient reserves may allow for genome size increase: evidence from comparison of geophytes and their sister non-geophytic relatives.
- Authors: Veselý P, Bureš P, Šmarda P
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Adaptive and nonadaptive genome size evolution in Karst endemic flora of China.
- Authors: Kang M, Tao J, Wang J, Ren C, Qi Q, Xiang QY, Huang H
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Insights into the dynamics of genome size and chromosome evolution in the early diverging angiosperm lineage Nymphaeales (water lilies).
- Authors: Pellicer J, Kelly LJ, Magdalena C, Leitch IJ
- Issue date: 2013 Aug