Genome size diversity and its impact on the evolution of land plants
AffiliationRoyal Botanic Gardens, Kew
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGenome size is a biodiversity trait that shows staggering diversity across eukaryotes, varying over 64,000-fold. Of all major taxonomic groups, land plants stand out due to their staggering genome size diversity, ranging ca. 2400-fold. As our understanding of the implications and significance of this remarkable genome size diversity in land plants grows, it is becoming increasingly evident that this trait plays not only an important role in shaping the evolution of plant genomes, but also in influencing plant community assemblages at the ecosystem level. Recent advances and improvements in novel sequencing technologies, as well as analytical tools, make it possible to gain critical insights into the genomic and epigenetic mechanisms underpinning genome size changes. In this review we provide an overview of our current understanding of genome size diversity across the different land plant groups, its implications on the biology of the genome and what future directions need to be addressed to fill key knowledge gaps.
CitationPellicer J., Hidalgo O., Dodsworth S., Leitch I. (2018) 'Genome size diversity and its impact on the evolution of land plants', Genes, 9 (88), pp.-.
PubMed Central IDPMC5852584
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Green systems biology - From single genomes, proteomes and metabolomes to ecosystems research and biotechnology.
- Authors: Weckwerth W
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 10
- The evolution of plant genomes: scaling up from a population perspective.
- Authors: Flowers JM, Purugganan MD
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Natural pathways towards polyploidy in animals: the Squalius alburnoides fish complex as a model system to study genome size and genome reorganization in polyploids.
- Authors: Collares-Pereira MJ, Matos I, Morgado-Santos M, Coelho MM
- Issue date: 2013
- Genome evolution in polyploids.
- Authors: Wendel JF
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Evolution of DNA amounts across land plants (embryophyta).
- Authors: Leitch IJ, Soltis DE, Soltis PS, Bennett MD
- Issue date: 2005 Jan