Problem-solving deficits in Iranian people with borderline personality disorder
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInterventions for people suffering from borderline personality disorder (BPD), such as dialectical behavior therapy, often include a problem-solving component. However, there is an absence of published studies examining the problem-solving abilities of this client group in Iran. The study compared inpatients and outpatients with BPD and a control group on problem-solving capabilities in an Iranian sample. It was hypothesized that patients with BPD would have more deficiencies in this area. Fifteen patients with BPD were compared to 15 healthy participants. Means-ends problem-solving task (MEPS) was used to measure problem-solving skills in both groups. BPD group reported less effective strategies in solving problems as opposed to the healthy group. Compared to the control group, participants with BPD provided empirical support for the use of problem-solving interventions with people suffering from BPD. The findings supported the idea that a problem-solving intervention can be efficiently applied either as a stand-alone therapy or in conjunction with other available psychotherapies to treat people with BPD. OBJECTIVE METHODS RESULTS CONCLUSIONS
CitationAkbari Dehaghi A, Kaviani H, Tamanaeefar S (2014) 'Problem-solving deficits in Iranian people with borderline personality disorder', Iranian journal of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, 8 (4), pp.12-8.
PubMed Central IDPMC4364472
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- The social problem-solving abilities of people with borderline personality disorder.
- Authors: Bray S, Barrowclough C, Lobban F
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Social problem solving, autobiographical memory, trauma, and depression in women with borderline personality disorder and a history of suicide attempts.
- Authors: Maurex L, Lekander M, Nilsonne A, Andersson EE, Asberg M, Ohman A
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Exploring the Effectiveness of Dialectical Behavior Therapy Versus Systems Training for Emotional Predictability and Problem Solving in a Sample of Patients With Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Authors: Guillén Botella V, García-Palacios A, Bolo Miñana S, Baños R, Botella C, Marco JH
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 6
- Effects of brief mindful breathing and loving-kindness meditation on shame and social problem solving abilities among individuals with high borderline personality traits.
- Authors: Keng SL, Tan JX
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- [Borderline personality disorder, self-mutilation and suicide: literature review].
- Authors: Oumaya M, Friedman S, Pham A, Abou Abdallah T, Guelfi JD, Rouillon F
- Issue date: 2008 Oct