Antitumor and apoptosis induction effects of paeonol on mice bearing EMT6 breast carcinoma
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPaeonol is a major phenolic micromolecular component of Moutan cortex Radicis, a traditional Chinese Medicine. It has shown antitumor effects in previous studies; however, the underlying mechanisms remain unknown. This study investigated the mechanism by giving treatments of placebo, cyclophosphamide, paeonol of 150 and 300 mg/kg to 4 groups of mice bearing EMT6 breast cancer. Apoptosis in tumor cells were confirmed by morphology analysis, including hematoxylin, eosin staining and TUNEL staining. The results showed that the weight of EMT6 breast tumor was significantly reduced in the groups treated with both 150 and 300 mg/kg of paeonol. Immunohistochemical and Western blot results showed that the expression of Bcl-2 was down-regulated while the expression of Bax, caspase 8 and caspase 3 was up-regulated respectively. These results suggest that paeonol exhibits antitumor effects and the mechanism of the inhibition is via induction of apoptosis, regulation of Bcl-2 and Bax expression, and activation of caspase 8 and caspase 3.
CitationOu Y, Li Q, Wang J, Li K, Zhou S (2014) 'Antitumor and apoptosis induction effects of paeonol on mice bearing EMT6 breast carcinoma', Biomolecules & Therapeutics, 22 (4), pp.341-6.
PublisherKorean Society of Applied Pharmacology
JournalBiomolecules & Therapeutics
PubMed Central IDPMC4131527
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Anti-tumor effects of paeonol in a HepA-hepatoma bearing mouse model via induction of tumor cell apoptosis and stimulation of IL-2 and TNF-alpha production.
- Authors: Sun GP, Wang H, Xu SP, Shen YX, Wu Q, Chen ZD, Wei W
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 28
- The Antitumor Mechanism of Paeonol on CXCL4/CXCR3-B Signals in Breast Cancer Through Induction of Tumor Cell Apoptosis.
- Authors: Saahene RO, Wang J, Wang ML, Agbo E, Pang D
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Enhanced antitumor activity and attenuated cardiotoxicity of Epirubicin combined with Paeonol against breast cancer.
- Authors: Wu J, Xue X, Zhang B, Cao H, Kong F, Jiang W, Li J, Sun D, Guo R
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Synergistic effect of paeonol and cisplatin on oesophageal cancer cell lines.
- Authors: Wan XA, Sun GP, Wang H, Xu SP, Wang ZG, Liu SH
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Paeonol exerts an anticancer effect on human colorectal cancer cells through inhibition of PGE₂ synthesis and COX-2 expression.
- Authors: Li M, Tan SY, Wang XF
- Issue date: 2014 Dec