Reliability and validity of the Grip-Ball dynamometer for grip-strength measurement
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrip-strength measurement is a key element in the evaluation of numerous conditions including frailty. An innovative grip-strength evaluation tool, the Grip-Ball has been developed for remote assessment of grip-strength. The Grip-Ball is an airtight ball that can be inflated to different pressures, thus varying the stiffness of the ball and the grip-strength dynamics. Three different initial pressures of 100, 125, and 150 kPa were evaluated in respect to reliability and validity, when compared to the Jamar. Reliability was very high, with ICC values of 0.95, 0.98, and 0.99 for 100, 125, and 150 kPa, respectively. The new device was highly correlated with the force measured using the Jamar for all initial pressures (r= 0.88, 0.93, and 0.93 for 100, 125, and 150 kPa, respectively). The possibility of varying the initial pressure would enable the Grip-Ball to be used for standard grip-strength testing and rehabilitation, while still maintaining high reliability and validity.
CitationChkeir A, Jaber R, Hewson DJ, Duchêne J (2012) 'Reliability and validity of the Grip-Ball dynamometer for grip-strength measurement', Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual Conference, 2012 (), pp.1996-9.
JournalConference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual Conference
- Estimation of grip force using the Grip-ball dynamometer.
- Authors: Chkeir A, Jaber R, Hewson DJ, Duchêne J
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Design and validation of the Grip-ball for measurement of hand grip strength.
- Authors: Jaber R, Hewson DJ, Duchêne J
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Measuring grip strength in older adults: comparing the grip-ball with the Jamar dynamometer.
- Authors: Vermeulen J, Neyens JC, Spreeuwenberg MD, van Rossum E, Hewson DJ, de Witte LP
- Issue date: 2015 Jul-Sep
- Grip force monitoring on the hand: Manugraphy system versus Jamar dynamometer.
- Authors: Mühldorfer-Fodor M, Ziegler S, Harms C, Neumann J, Cristalli A, Kalpen A, Kundt G, Mittlmeier T, Prommersberger KJ
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Comparison of the strength endurance parameters for the Baltimore Therapeutic Equipment (BTE) Simulator II and the Jamar Handgrip Dynamometer.
- Authors: Myers E, Triscari R
- Issue date: 2017