Validation of balance-quality assessment using a modified bathroom scale
AffiliationUniversité de Technologie de Troyes
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe balance quality tester (BQT), based on a standard electronic bathroom scale has been developed in order to assess balance quality. The BQT includes automatic detection of the person to be tested by means of an infrared detector and bluetooth communication capability for remote assessment when linked to a long-distance communication device such as a mobile phone. The BQT was compared to a standard force plate for validity and agreement. The two most widely reported parameters in balance literature, the area of the centre of pressure (COP) displacement and the velocity of the COP displacement, were compared for 12 subjects, each of whom was tested on ten occasions on each of the 2 days. No significant differences were observed between the BQT and the force plate for either of the two parameters. In addition a high level of agreement was observed between both devices. The BQT is a valid device for remote assessment of balance quality, and could provide a useful tool for long-term monitoring of people with balance problems, particularly during home monitoring.
CitationHewson DJ, Duchêne J, Hogrel JY (2015) 'Validation of balance-quality assessment using a modified bathroom scale', Physiological measurement, 36 (2), pp.207-18.
PublisherInstitute of Physics
- Balance quality assessment as an early indicator of physical frailty in older people.
- Authors: Chkeir A, Safieddine D, Bera D, Collart M, Novella JL, Drame M, Hewson DJ, Duchene J
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Construct validity of a modified bathroom scale that can measure balance in elderly people.
- Authors: Vermeulen J, Neyens JC, Spreeuwenberg MD, van Rossum E, Hewson DJ, Duchêne J, de Witte LP
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Modified bathroom scale and balance assessment: a comparison with clinical tests.
- Authors: Duchêne J, Hewson D, Rumeau P
- Issue date: 2016
- Between-day reliability of centre of pressure measures for balance assessment in hemiplegic stroke patients.
- Authors: Gasq D, Labrunée M, Amarantini D, Dupui P, Montoya R, Marque P
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 21
- Identification of the period of stability in a balance test after stepping up using a simplified cumulative sum.
- Authors: Safieddine D, Chkeir A, Herlem C, Bera D, Collart M, Novella JL, Dramé M, Hewson DJ, Duchêne J
- Issue date: 2017 Nov