Teaching diversity to medical undergraduates: curriculum development, delivery and assessment. AMEE GUIDE No. 103
AffiliationUniversity of Leicester
University of Bedfordshire
Queen Mary University London
University of Sheffield
St Georges University London
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this Guide is to support teacher with the responsibility of designing, delivering and/or assessing diversity education. Although, the focus is on medical education, the guidance is relevant to all healthcare professionals. The Guide begins by providing an overview of the definitions used and the principles that underpin the teaching of diversity as advocated by Diversity and Medicine in Health (DIMAH). Following an outline of these principles we highlight the difference between equality and diversity education. The Guide then covers diversity education throughout the educational process from the philosophical stance of educators and how this influences the approaches used through to curriculum development, delivery and assessment. Appendices contain practical examples from across the UK, covering lesson plans and specific exercises to deliver teaching. Although, diversity education remains variable and fragmented there is now some momentum to ensure that the principles of good educational practice are applied to diversity education. The nature of this topic means that there are a range of different professions and medical disciplines involved which leads to a great necessity for greater collaboration and sharing of effective practice.
CitationDogra N, Bhatti F, Ertubey C, Kelly M, Rowlands A, Singh D, Turner M (2016) 'Teaching diversity to medical undergraduates: curriculum development, delivery and assessment. AMEE GUIDE No. 103', Medical Teacher, 38 (4), pp.323-337.
PublisherTAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- Exploring conceptual and theoretical frameworks for nurse practitioner education: a scoping review protocol.
- Authors: Wilson R, Godfrey CM, Sears K, Medves J, Ross-White A, Lambert N
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- The views of medical education stakeholders on guidelines for cultural diversity teaching.
- Authors: Dogra N
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Medical education scholarship: an introductory guide: AMEE Guide No. 89.
- Authors: Crites GE, Gaines JK, Cottrell S, Kalishman S, Gusic M, Mavis B, Durning SJ
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Simulation in healthcare education: a best evidence practical guide. AMEE Guide No. 82.
- Authors: Motola I, Devine LA, Chung HS, Sullivan JE, Issenberg SB
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Twenty cultural and learning principles to guide the development of pharmacy curriculum in Pacific Island countries.
- Authors: Brown AN, McCormack C
- Issue date: 2014