AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLoneliness has been found to relate to a wide range of harmful health outcomes. The adverse effects of loneliness upon people’s lives emphasise the importance of understanding its nature and process. A number of theoretical and conceptual foundations have been proposed by scholars and are discussed and reflected upon in this article. The discussion and understanding of loneliness theoretical foundations provide useful insights toward the interpretation of its occurrence.
CitationTzouvara V, Papadopoulos C, Randhawa G (2015) 'A narrative review of the theoretical foundations of loneliness', British Journal of Community Nursing, 20 (7), pp.329-334.
PublisherMark Allen Group
- Loneliness: a concept analysis.
- Authors: Bekhet AK, Zauszniewski JA, Nakhla WE
- Issue date: 2008 Oct-Dec
- Social determinants of loneliness among older Americans.
- Authors: Mullins LC, Elston CH, Gutkowski SM
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Is loneliness a psychological dysfunction? A literary study of the phenomenon of loneliness.
- Authors: Nilsson B, Lindström UA, Nåden D
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Increased risk of mortality associated with social isolation in older men: only when feeling lonely? Results from the Amsterdam Study of the Elderly (AMSTEL).
- Authors: Holwerda TJ, Beekman AT, Deeg DJ, Stek ML, van Tilburg TG, Visser PJ, Schmand B, Jonker C, Schoevers RA
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Functions of loneliness, social support, health behaviors, and stress in association with poor health.
- Authors: Segrin C, Passalacqua SA
- Issue date: 2010 Jun