Altruism, gift giving and reciprocity in organ donation: a review of cultural perspectives and challenges of the concepts
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLiving and deceased organ donation are couched in altruism and gift discourse and this article reviews explores cultural views towards these concepts. Altruism and egoism theories and gift and reciprocity theories are outlined from a social exchange theory perspective to highlight the key differences between altruism and the gift and the wider implications of reciprocation. The notion of altruism as a selfless act without expectation or want for repayment juxtaposed with the Maussian gift where there are the obligations to give, receive and reciprocate. Lay perspectives of altruism and the gift in organ donation are outlined and illustrate that there are differences in motivations to donate in different programmes of living donation and for families who decide to donate their relative's organs. These motivations reflect cultural views of altruism and the gift and perceptions of the body and death.
CitationSharp C., Randhawa G. (2014) 'Altruism, gift giving and reciprocity in organ donation: a review of cultural perspectives and challenges of the concepts', Transplantation Reviews, 28 (4), pp.163-168.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Organ donation as an 'altruistic gift': incentives and reciprocity in deceased organ donation from a UK Polish migrant perspective.
- Authors: Sharp C, Randhawa G
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 17
- Multiple meanings of "gift" and its value for organ donation.
- Authors: Shaw RM, Webb R
- Issue date: 2015 May
- The notion of gift-giving and organ donation.
- Authors: Gerrand N
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- Perceptions of the gift relationship in organ and tissue donation: Views of intensivists and donor and recipient coordinators.
- Authors: Shaw R
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Expanding the conceptual toolkit of organ gifting.
- Authors: M Shaw R
- Issue date: 2015 Jul