AffiliationUniversity of British Columbia
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Development of strategies to increase deceased organ donation is dependent on timely, accurate information regarding the number of potential deceased organ donors. Our objective was to estimate the number of potential deceased organ donors in Canada. METHODS: This was a retrospective analysis of information captured from hospital separations in Canadian provinces with the exception of Quebec between 2005 and 2009. We studied individuals 70 years or younger who died in hospital. Our primary outcome measure was potential deceased organ donors (identified by the presence of diagnostic codes compatible with donation, the absence of contraindications to donation defined by Canadian Standards, and the use of mechanical ventilation). RESULTS: Among 335 793 hospital deaths, 8274 potential donors were identified. The study method was 81% sensitive and 93% specific for identification of potential donors, and overestimated potential donors by a factor of 1.6- to 2.1-fold when compared to information from chart audits. After accounting for this overestimation, there are conservatively 400 unrecognized potential deceased donors in Canada annually. CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest there may be significant potential to increase deceased organ donations in Canada. Further studies to fully characterize the number of potential donors identified by the study method are needed.
CitationRose C., Nickerson P., Delmonico F., Randhawa G., Gill J., Gill J. (2016) 'Estimation of potential deceased organ donors in Canada', Transplantation, 100 (7), pp.1558-1563.
PublisherLippincott Williams and Wilkins
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Yellow - can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
- Factors affecting the deceased organ donation rate in the Chinese community: an audit of hospital medical records in Hong Kong.
- Authors: Cheung CY, Pong ML, Au Yeung SF, Chau KF
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Potential for deceased donation not optimally exploited: donor action data from six countries.
- Authors: Roels L, Smits J, Cohen B
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 15
- Decadal analysis of deceased organ donation in Spain and the United States linking an increased donation rate and the utilization of older donors.
- Authors: Halldorson J, Roberts JP
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Development of a national minimum data set to monitor deceased organ donation performance in Canada.
- Authors: Hornby K, Shemie SD, Appleby A, Dodd N, Gill J, Kim J, Kramer A, Kutsogiannis DJ, Lahaie N, MacLean J, Rehel L, Webster G, Wu J, Scales DC
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Organ donation after death in Ontario: a population-based cohort study.
- Authors: Redelmeier DA, Markel F, Scales DC
- Issue date: 2013 May 14