Exploring end-of-life care for South Asian kidney patients: interviewer reflections
Bola, Kulwinder Kaur
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
L510 Health & Welfare
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe reduction of inequalities in access to quality care has been a central tenet of UK health policy. Ethnic minorities may experience additional inequalities because of language and other cultural barriers. This article reports interviewer reflections of conducting interviews with South Asian kidney patients about their experiences of end-of-life care. It explores themes which emerged from the analysis of a focus group held with eight bilingual research interviewers. The relevance of these themes to understanding inequalities and access to end-of-life care is discussed; together with the potential for the research process to contribute to service improvement.
CitationWilkinson E, Waqar M, Gill B, Hoque P, Jetha C, Bola KK, Mahmood R, Mahmood S, Saujani R, Randhawa G. (2017) 'Exploring end-of-life care for South Asian kidney patients: interviewer reflections', International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 23 (3), pp.120-128.
PublisherMark Allen Healthcare
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as White - archiving not formally supported
- Exploring access to end of life care for ethnic minorities with end stage kidney disease through recruitment in action research.
- Authors: Wilkinson E, Randhawa G, Brown E, Da Silva Gane M, Stoves J, Warwick G, Akhtar T, Magee R, Sharman S, Farrington K
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 11
- Communication as care at end of life: an emerging issue from an exploratory action research study of renal end-of-life care for ethnic minorities in the UK.
- Authors: Wilkinson E, Randhawa G, Brown EA, Da Silva Gane M, Stoves J, Warwick G, Akhtar T, Magee R, Sharman S, Farrington K
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Nurses' experiences of caring for South Asian minority ethnic patients in a general hospital in England.
- Authors: Vydelingum V
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Improving the quality of communication and service provision for renal patients of South Asian origin: the contribution of a cultural and health improvement officer.
- Authors: Akhtar T, Hipkiss V, Stoves J
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Challenges of healthcare professionals in providing care to South Asian ethnic minority patients in Hong Kong: A qualitative study.
- Authors: Vandan N, Wong JY, Lee JJ, Yip PS, Fong DY
- Issue date: 2020 Mar