AuthorsKumar, Aditya Arun
Thaker, Thana'a Mohajer
Bui, Tam T. T.
Drake, Alex F.
McDermott, Lindsay C.
AffiliationKing's College London
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractZinc-α2-glycoprotein (ZAG) is an adipokine with an MHC class I-like protein fold. Even though zinc causes ZAG to precipitate from plasma during protein purification, no zinc binding has been identified to date. Using mass spectrometry, we demonstrated that ZAG contains one strongly bound zinc ion, predicted to lie close to the α1 and α2 helical groove. UV, CD and fluorescence spectroscopies detected weak zinc binding to holo-ZAG, which can bind up to 15 zinc ions. Zinc binding to 11-(dansylamino) undecanoic acid was enhanced by holo-ZAG. Zinc binding may be important for ZAG binding to fatty acids and the β-adrenergic receptor.
CitationKumar, Hati, Thaker, Miah, Cunningham, Domene, Bui, Drake, McDermott (2013) 'Strong and weak zinc binding sites in human zinc-α2-glycoprotein', FEBS Letters, 587 (24), pp.3949-54.
- Zinc-induced oligomerization of zinc α2 glycoprotein reveals multiple fatty acid-binding sites.
- Authors: Zahid H, Miah L, Lau AM, Brochard L, Hati D, Bui TT, Drake AF, Gor J, Perkins SJ, McDermott LC
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 1
- Crystal structure of zinc-α2-glycoprotein in complex with a fatty acid reveals multiple different modes of protein-lipid binding.
- Authors: Lau AM, Zahid H, Gor J, Perkins SJ, Coker AR, McDermott LC
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 15
- Crystallographic studies of ligand binding by Zn-alpha2-glycoprotein.
- Authors: Delker SL, West AP Jr, McDermott L, Kennedy MW, Bjorkman PJ
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Crystal structure of the novel complex formed between zinc alpha2-glycoprotein (ZAG) and prolactin-inducible protein (PIP) from human seminal plasma.
- Authors: Hassan MI, Bilgrami S, Kumar V, Singh N, Yadav S, Kaur P, Singh TP
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 19
- Hydrophobic ligand binding by Zn-alpha 2-glycoprotein, a soluble fat-depleting factor related to major histocompatibility complex proteins.
- Authors: Kennedy MW, Heikema AP, Cooper A, Bjorkman PJ, Sanchez LM
- Issue date: 2001 Sep 14