AuthorsWhite, Adam John
SubjectsC600 Sports Science
L510 Health & Welfare
health and physical education
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince 2016, we have been strong advocates for the removal of tackling from rugby (League and Union) played in school physical education in the United Kingdom . This is because (a) tackling is the leading cause of injury in rugby, (b) rugby has a level of risk that is higher than non-contact sports, (c) there is no requirement or need for tackling as part of the school physical education curriculum, and (d) many children are compelled to participate in contact rugby . In response to this call, the Chief Medical Officers and the Physical Activity Expert Group commented: ‘The Committee reject the call to ban tackling, as they do not feel rugby participation poses an unacceptable risk of harm’ . Yet, the notion of risk (un) acceptability is a construct that needs further discussion, which we will start here .
CitationWhite AJ, Batten J, Robinson S, Anderson E, Burns A, Batey J, Ryan-Stewart H, Discombe R (2018) 'Tackling in physical education rugby: an unnecessary risk?', Injury Prevention 24 (2) 114-115.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- 'Don't let kids play football': a killer idea.
- Authors: MacDonald J, Myer GD
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- What counts as 'the evidence'? A need for an urgent review of injury risk in school rugby.
- Authors: Piggin J, Bairner A
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Injury surveillance in school Rugby: A systematic review of injury epidemiology & surveillance practices.
- Authors: Leahy TM, Kenny IC, Campbell MJ, Warrington GD, Cahalan R, Harrison AJ, Lyons M, Glynn LG, Comyns TM
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Evidence in support of the call to ban the tackle and harmful contact in school rugby: a response to World Rugby.
- Authors: Pollock AM, White AJ, Kirkwood G
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Concussion prevention in youth sports: what have we overlooked?
- Authors: Shan G, Wan B, Visentin P, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2018 Dec